London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
3 messages
13/04/2012 at 22:44
<p style="line-height: 14pt;"><span style="color: #333333; font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt;">Do you <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> know how long I should leave an area before growing veg that had been used as a dog run for several years? Only one dog but had been used by my dog for more approx 4 years. Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated. Martin

14/04/2012 at 19:07
There should be no problem providing you dig it over and let some air into the soil. The soil might smell a bit sour but this will soon evaporate once it has been dug over and left for a bit. If you can get a bit of well rotted manure to dig in at this stage this will open up the texture of the soil You might be best not planting any root crops for the first year but greens should be OK, it might be quite high in nitrogen from the dogs waterworks. I could suggest putting some lime down if you are going to grow greens but do not do this if your adding farmyard manure, these can react to give off ammonia. So use one or the other! To help you decide which; check the condition of the soil when you dig it,if it is a bit sticky go for manure, if it is quite open textured go for lime. I hope that helps, once you decide what you want to grow get back to the forum and between us we will give you advice to suit your plans....Tg
14/04/2012 at 23:05

Hi Tee Gee

Thank you for your reply; I was going to leave growing anything until next year. The area is grassed at the moment so intend to dig it over just before winter. I like the idea of not growing any root crops for a while and will go for greens/peas/beans etc.

The soil in my garden is normally open textured and feel that once dig over will be OK as it is very compact at the moment.

Thank you for your help much appreciated.

Martin

email image
3 messages