Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

verbena bonariensis

I bought some verbena bonarencis plants last year but never checked how I should prune them, they blew over for the most part during the winter and as its been mild they are now shooting vertically from the stems that were blown horizontanally. Any ideas what I should do now? Do I leave them alone, cut them back, or prop up the long stems which would mean the new shoots growing out like branches. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Cut them backimage

But I have considered pinning down those new growths up the stems top see if they'll root.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Wow, thanks

I could try that with some then to see if they root and cut back the rest. Do I cut them right to the ground.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes. there was a post on this subject a few days ago. I'll see if I can find it. I was leaving some of the top on the protect the base through winter but maybe not the best way

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/verbena/911220.html

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have done both, doesnt seem to make any difference. If they flowered last year, you may find you have thousands of little plants come up, but not until April or May. You can them plant these wherever you want new plants.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They self seed everywhere but they can create a nice tall drift through a bed which has a lovely affect. Being purple they'll blend with most colours and if you get too many they pull out easily.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

The butterflies and bees love them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Last year I cut them down to about a foot, and used all the side shoots as cuttings. They grew into good strong plants, better than seedlings.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

goldfinches love the seeds too

Devon.
  • How do you take the cuttings? with a heel or cut below a node.image

• I would like to know the answer to that too fritillary. It would be great to propagate some from cuttings