London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 9°C
10 messages
25/09/2012 at 13:39

I was wondering if anyone knew whether there is any point in using nematodes now, if I am not sure whether vine weevil is present or not?

We had an infestation last Spring and the nematodes wiped out the weevil.

If there are no larvae in ths soil, do the nematodes just die off, because they have nothing to eat, or do they stick around for a while?

Thank you!

25/09/2012 at 20:39
The way I understand it is that nematodes CONTROL vine weevils but not wiping them out entirely. I think they die off to an extent although they are naturally in the soil. Needs warm soil soil so treatment next spring before you see sighns of damage and again early September? Provado works well, more destructive though but can use now
25/09/2012 at 21:34

Nematodes die off if there is nothing for them to eat. They also need warm soil for them to be active, and the soil is getting too cold now.

So, as already said, Provado is your best bet now.

25/09/2012 at 22:26

I thought the nematodes ate every weevil in their path?!

26/09/2012 at 08:24
No they don't. Some weevils will survive. It's a control to reduce the numbers. They breed in the weevil larvae as i understand it.
09/02/2013 at 20:37

Not ever used nemaodes, seems to me they are just like any other pesticides but just used underground. From the little I know they contain neo-nicotinoids, which I don't think are a good thing for the food chain as a whole as too Provado

09/02/2013 at 20:46

Nematodes are little roundworms  not poisonous chemicals

09/02/2013 at 20:56

Ok I'm not sure, it's just they were included in a link in on this site about neo-nicotinoids.

09/02/2013 at 21:05

When I click on the said link it brings me to here

Lyn
09/02/2013 at 21:43
If you have over wintered any plants in pots such as fucshias in particular, just knock them out of the pots, pull the soil away from the roots and you will easily see the grub. Kill them all and repot the plant in fresh soil and treat all your baskets and tubs in late march when you have planted them up.
I grow about 100 fuchsia cuttings and almost the same in geraniums and didn't get a single grub last year.
I will definitely be buying them again this spring.
email image
10 messages