London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
28/11/2013 at 16:29

Hi All you Viola lovers . Have just joined .

Thanks to DOVEFROMABOVE for including The National Society Web Site on an earlier post..

Quite a few people visited this from his message.

I will be following your thoughts as to what people like so much about the flower

28/11/2013 at 16:35

Personally I just love the way a fully blooming plant looks like a crowd of smiling faces... I always find myself smiling back at them and anything that makes you smile is cool in my book.

28/11/2013 at 16:44
MACAVITYTHECAT wrote (see)

If you don't cut the flowerheads off they turn into a star-shaped husk full of seeds. I leave them until they have dried enough to turn dark, then scrape the seeds into an envelope.  If I'm being anal, I mark each envelope (acid-free) individually but this year I just did one big mixed bag and planted randomly.  The germination rate seems to be as good/bad as bought seeds. The fun bit is that even if you keep the seeds seperate they might not grow exactly the same as the parent plant but they are free and even if they are different, I've learned to embrace the difference!

Hi MACAVITYTHECAT, so you can scrap the seeds out once they have become star shaped

28/11/2013 at 17:36

I was in my local B and Q store yesterday in the NE and they had multi packs of violas  which they had reduced to £2 so may be worth giving your local store a ring to see if the have any, they also had half price bulbs...I was so good and didn't buy any. I do grow violas in alpine pots over the winter and they flower really well, because the pots are on a wall I pass them every day so dead heading is easy. They grow really well when Spring comes so dead heading gets neglected, hence self sown seedlings which are a bonus. I find violas much better that winter pansies

28/11/2013 at 19:57

Hi Nick

What I do is pick the pods once the flower has died. Put them in a paper, not plastic, bag and put the bag in a dry warm spot. I use the top of my boiler. After a few days to a week, look inside the bag you will see tiny dust like brown seeds. I do this because if the pod ripens and opens the seeds fly off.

Have you seen the film 'Alien' you know when the alien egg opens on three sides before the thing pops out? That's what it reminds me. Goggle Image below

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/34703.png?width=221&height=228&mode=max

28/11/2013 at 21:10
graham wells wrote (see)

Hi All you Viola lovers . Have just joined .

Thanks to DOVEFROMABOVE for including The National Society Web Site on an earlier post..

Quite a few people visited this from his message.

I will be following your thoughts as to what people like so much about the flower

My pleasure Viola Man - it's a great resource - the Viola Soc. website I mean 

29/11/2013 at 12:51

hi mark 1963

so when you see the seeds as your pic you can scrape them out,

thank you

guess im cutting the heads off and scrapping seeds out this weekend then

29/11/2013 at 14:11

Hi Nick

Do it in a dish with sides, they go everywhere. I just pick them when like photo, in a paper bag and let them fall out on their own.

But give the scrape method a go, its what works for you, this gardening lark

29/11/2013 at 14:54

thanks mark so you actually cut the whole head off or do you take the branch bit off as well

29/11/2013 at 17:27

If in a hurry just cut the seed head off. You can cut the branch bit of later to make the plant tidy. Hopefully I'll be doing this, this weekend.

I go out in the garden before work to have a quick de-head, then have a general tidy up round the plant when I have time. With all plants you have to fool them in thinking 'I need to flower so I can make seed.'

Once a plant has made enough seeds for its species survival, it wont flower so much. that's why you hear gardeners on TV talking so much about de-heading, so we get more flowers.

Hope that helps. Just ask if you need anymore help  

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages