Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Viola's

Hi all,

how long do viola's normally last?

• Nick, see your pansy thread where I have extolled the virtues of violas - luvvemtobits!!!

They'll keep going all winter and through the next spring, and if you take care of them you can even keep them for several years and take cutting, not to mention collecting and sowing seeds from them.  

Superb little smiley faces grinning up at us from the terrace outside our dining room door - and some of them have such gorgeous scents - bury your nose in them when they've been sitting in a patch of warm winter sun - mmmmmmmmmmmmm image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks dove 

mine seem to be thriving in the cold weather

• They're tough as old boots and as pretty as a picture image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I LOVE Violas! They self seed all over the garden, I must have about 25 little plants I have picked out the ground and looking after them in the GH.

I pick the seed pods off and dry them out in paper bags on top of the boiler. I'm so looking forward to the end of February when I start sowing them.

If I could change my wife's name to Viola I would, OK I'm getting sad now. Quit while aheadimage 

• Just keep calling her Viola Mark, see what happens image

When bubble-wrapping the pot that my standard bay is in, I found some little viola seedlings amongst the grit in the pot.  They'll seed any and everywhere image

• Anyone know where I still can get some or is it to late?

• I have noticed some coming through the gaps in between the slabs on the patio. I have started putting some seed pods along the rest of the gaps, hoping they germinate before the weeds and grass does. It would look lovely to see viola's all over the patio.

• Try the garden centres - they may well still have some image

We sat here for our  coffee this morning (well wrapped up) and smiled back at our violas image

• our garden centre has sold out, sutton seeds have as well

• Now's the time to put a note in your diary for next autumn - Buy some violas!!! image