London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 8°C
15 messages
19/01/2014 at 19:47
I recently watched the Great British garden revival and one of the presenters said she used vitamin C to aid rooting of plant cuttings but no more was said, can someone please help me out on how to use vitamin c as a rooting agent
19/01/2014 at 20:05

i have heard of it carper, but not used it. As I remember, you get the vit C powder and and you can either dilute in water, and dip, or dip straight in the powder.

Think I'd prefer the dilute method as most vit c supplements out there are very strong.

20/01/2014 at 11:38
i used a crushed aspirin for a pick me up tonic for a plant last year and it worked a treat,also i used a banana skin in water shaken in a bottle ,kept over night and this also worked as a help for plants not looking there normal self,im told the vit C works as well iv not tried it yet but i will on cuttings this year, good luck
09/02/2014 at 22:03
I asked Christine Walkden on twitter as it was her that said about vitamin C on the tv and she said to buy water soluble tablets make up as instructed dip for 1 minute and place on compost
09/02/2014 at 23:01

But why Vit c?  Use rooting powder. !

10/02/2014 at 01:02

Sorry my friend, but I stopped watching that program.. Forgive me for speaking, but.  In all honesty.  Where do these program directors/presenter etc get their ideas from.

Sad to say.  These attempts of the TV companies to atract viewers.  Please step aside from the glamour show, with all its arm waving and hand gestures.  Lets get back to basics.  Sad to say.  I do not wish to offend anyone here, but even some of our best known and respcted gardeners are portrayed at times as a right bunch of fairies.  All this prancing around, arms waving, hand gestures.  What ever happened to the guy who could walk and talk, whilst keeping his hands in his pockets.  Let's be honest. Such 'stars as, Monty Don' True he comes over quite good.  However it shows through.  He's not a pro gardener. Nickie Chapman, such a lovely lass. Once again she is only a tv presenter.

I can't get over the fact, that I also subscribe to the RHS forum.  I was very strongly slatted by a membe for criticising a comment made by some female, featured in one of the said programs.  It seems this woman/lass has a doctrate degree in horticulture.  I feel also that she has her own grden center.  Yet it was allowed to be transmitted.  There she was on hands and knees attenting to a worn tuf patch.  Her words not mine.  Now we get the pitch fork.  A pitch fork to repair a grass area.  BH.  Where do they get these people from.  No joke!  From most of the prverbial/manure that so many of these people come out with.  Forgive me.  Not boasting but.  Surely at the least.  I should be a Prof.  In short friends.  Please don't get taken in by all these tv programs.

10/02/2014 at 08:11

Bump re spam

10/02/2014 at 08:49

I'm with Mike and verdun. I use rooting powder or rooting gel when necessary. 

Vitamin C powder is more expensive and harder to get, since most chemists keep it under the counter because drug addicts use  Vit C powder or citric acid to mix with the heroin. It then ruins the veins.

I saw the same programme,Mike. A lot of people on this forum commented that a flat tined fork is not a pitchfork.  There were quite a few errors in that series, including moving Ashbourne to Yorkshire.

Edd
10/02/2014 at 11:07

That is what you get with Tel-LIE-vision.

10/02/2014 at 11:20
Im a novice gardener I dont have alot of gardening knowledge but im keen to learn, i never seem to have much luck with rooting powder so thought id give this method ago, if it dont work then its a lesson learnt if it does bonus
10/02/2014 at 12:09

If anyone's going to try this out, please do it properly and share the results with us.

You'll need a large sample size, so lots of cuttings taken from a single, large bush or lots from each of several large bushes.

You'll need to minimise variation in your sample, so take the cuttings at a standard length, take them all at the same time of day in the same weather at the same time of year and treat them all the same way, putting them all in the same compost in the same size pot in the same number of second after cutting and watering each with a standard amount of water.

If you're dipping in vitamin C solution or rooting hormone solution, dip the control group of cuttings in water the same way.

Look after them all the same way. This pretty much means filling the greenhouse with them in a chequer-board pattern so no group of cuttings accidentally gets a better part of the greenhouse.

Have a standard way of scoring "success" and stick to it. If you're taking 8" cuttings and putting them 4" deep in compost filled to the rims of the pots, having them grow to 5" above the pot rim may be a good criterion.

You'll need to gather data on how many cuttings have succeeded maybe every three days for quite a while to allow comparisons of the speed with which they took as well as the survival rate.

Finally, use something like a Chi-squared test to give us a probability that whatever variation was recorded was just random variation.

10/02/2014 at 12:31

Sounds like you're going to be busy, Charlie. Well volunteered.

24/05/2014 at 12:14

Hello folks,

i heard the program about using vit C i was a little bemused. However i tend to use liquid seaweed from the start

. i mix a cupful with a gallon of water, i do not recommend that it is mixed a left standing for days,

for seed plant i soak my seeds in a plant saucer for 12 hours then plant the seeds in the usual way, then spray the surface of the seed trays than one a week i continually feed them with a a solution 1 cap to 1 gallon of water and carry on doing so.

the results are fantastic healthy plants, if you continue spraying the solution throughout the growing season you will get bigger healthier plants, My basket tomatoes are fantastic this year.

Not recommended for house plants, but use all round the garden as a drench or foliage spray just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Happy Gardening Folks

03/06/2014 at 13:52

Some years ago someone once wrote in a pelargonium magazine that it was beneficial to use a solution of vitamin C for cuttings, so we tried it and had to agree it helped, so we have been using it ever since. We put about half a teaspoonful of powder in a couple of eggcupfuls of cold water and stir it with anything that is non-metallic (usually a plant label) and it is stored in a dark bottle. Tablets would do just as well as powder – and what you don’t use for your geranium cuttings can be made into a drink – so it will do you both good! We never use hormone-rooting powders or liquid, as this makes the ends go soft and they are more likely to rot than root.

Do not get distraught if a few do not make it – one hundred per cent success is a very high standard to try to achieve! The important thing is to enjoy what you are doing, and we think you will always feel a sense of achievement when you manage to increase your stock of a plant. We always do!      Copied from ' The Vernon Geranium Nursery ' site 

03/06/2014 at 14:00

The man with the vision gets the mission, CN

email image
15 messages