London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
13/11/2013 at 21:35

Just wondered if anyone else has been upset by the Waitrose turkey ad.

on TV showing the baby turkeys?   I think it's going to turn a lot more people

into vegetarians!  I know this has absolutely nothing to do with gardening,

but just wondered if maybe I'm alone in feeling this way?

14/11/2013 at 00:41

Nearest Waitrose is 80 miles away.  Won't bother me much.

14/11/2013 at 06:23

Strange you should say that, no you are not alone, I thought the same too! A bit off, I thought, and I'm not even in the UK!

14/11/2013 at 07:19

I look at it a different way - if I'm going to eat turkey, or any other meat for that matter, I want to know that the animals/birds concerned have been treated in a humane way throughout their lives and I'm prepared to pay a little bit more if that means the supermarket, butcher or farm shop can guarantee that.  

I don't want my purchase to condone bad treatment of any animal and I'd rather eat a little less meat and pay a little more to ensure that.

I used to have a smallholding and reared our own meat, lamb, beef, goat meat, pork and poultry. I knew that the animals were treated well and that when the time came for them to go to the abbattoir, I knew the men who worked there, we took the animals there ourselves and we know that they weren't unduly stressed or frightened.  Not only were our consciences clear but we benefited from really tender meat (adrenalin can toughen meat).  The Michaelmas and Christmas geese I killed, plucked and dressed myself.

To me the Waitrose advertisement shows me that the turkeys in question have been treated well throughout their lives.  I would rather buy one of those than an anonymous frozen lump.  

I've overheard people in the supermarket say, "I can't eat anything that looks as if it was alive"  or "I can't eat anything with a bone in 'cos it reminds me it was an animal".  I'd have respect for them if they were vegetarians, but to buy meat and pretend to yourself it was never alive, and what is more, not care how it was treated seems wrong to me.

I think the Waitrose advert is honest and I applaud it.

Hope that doesn't offend anyone

14/11/2013 at 07:54

Totally agree with Dove,If you eat meat you want to know its origin and how it was reared,Our local butcher raises his own lamb and beef,you can go to his farm and look around,I would rather do this than not lnow what I was buying.

Absolute respect for vegetarians in their choice,but thats what it is their choice.

Have no problem with this advetisement by Waitrose.

14/11/2013 at 09:07

I agree with Dove and Gilly, having grown up in the countryside I can't understand how people fail to think of meat as a living creature or who wouldn't want to know that they'd been well cared for, fed the right foods (with less steriods and other nasties), given space to move around. It was never hidden away that lamby in the field being all bouncy and happy could well be Sunday dinner and I was brought up to respect the animals for the intelligent creatures that they were.

I guess in the supermarket where all you see is a clingfilm wrapped ready to roll lump of what is to be dinner you can kid yourself a little or indeed become so distanced between what you eat and where it comes from (especially if you've never grown a carrot in your life so don't even have that connection with the ground). While I'm sure Waitrose is 95% advertising for people to spend money with them rather than another supermarket I'm happy to see places taking animal welfare seriously.

14/11/2013 at 13:35

I think people have lost touch with where food comes from. My sisters kids wont eat "tree apples" because they might have a maggot in. My great neice, complained to my sister that she had been offered carrots at her friends house. She thought they were disgusting because they had been dug up out of the soil. For them fruit and veg comes from the supermarket in poly bags. It is washed, a regular size, and a lot more expensive than it should be because anything not fitting the perception of perfection is thrown away.

14/11/2013 at 13:36

It's enough to make me weep 

14/11/2013 at 15:13

It just goes to show the benefit of letting children have their own little patch of garden and try growing some veg themselves,....... which.encourages them to eat what they grow,none of this nonsense of only eating prepacked veg.

KEF
14/11/2013 at 16:18

Flowersforbees, sorry this isn't about meat/ poultry as such but I have a story to tell. Honestly it is true.

About 20yrs ago I had to take some work collegues somewhere and decided to go "the pretty way" we encountered the cows being moved from one field to another, blocking the road. After a while jokingly I said something along the lines of "come on ladies hurry up", my collegue in his early 30's asked how I knew they were female.

The youngster in the back straight away jokingly told him it was because they were wearing earrings.  Tags in ears. He believed her!  Thank goodness we now have some Urban farms that kiddies can go to.  

14/11/2013 at 16:30

Thank you all so much for your messages.  It has really helped me to look

at this from a different perspective i.e. the welfare of the animals before they

reach the table.  I do try to be aware of where my meat comes from and to

only buy foods that have come with some form of animal welfare credential - like

Happy Eggs for a small example).  Although I grew up in the country (mostly arable

farming) I never really thought much about where the lambs/calves/piglets

ended up, although I really loved them.  You are quite right  to point all

these things out and to remind me that we do have a duty of care in making sure

that our food comes from humane sources.  With regard to vegetables - yes -

maybe I'll start a vegetable patch for my grandchildren, alongside my wildflower

garden next year.  The simple things in life are best!  Thanks for your story

KEF it really made me laugh! 

14/11/2013 at 16:33

That's lovely Flowersforbees - you've made my day! 

14/11/2013 at 16:36

Thanks Dove!  

14/11/2013 at 16:43
fidgetbones wrote (see)

I think people have lost touch with where food comes from. My sisters kids wont eat "tree apples" because they might have a maggot in. My great neice, complained to my sister that she had been offered carrots at her friends house. She thought they were disgusting because they had been dug up out of the soil. For them fruit and veg comes from the supermarket in poly bags. It is washed, a regular size, and a lot more expensive than it should be because anything not fitting the perception of perfection is thrown away.

That really is sad to hear though I fear probably not all that unusual now. It is the novelty now to know someone who DOES grow their own vegetables (gosh in some places merely having a garden is a luxury) with parents having so little time or perhaps just inclination, so there are often little chances for a child to experience how food gets to their plate especially when if they were to ask their parents they're likely just to say "Tesco".

I'm really glad that some schools have gardening clubs as a space for children to get their hands muddy and invovled in the production of a crop and as side from muddy carrots it must prove wonders at teaching them patience and how now every thing is a 30 second microwave ping away. I just hope that budget cuts and health and safety don't get them all concreted over.

There was a study not that long ago ( try this link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8492477.stm) where children were asked where their food came from.

Anyone for a duck yoghurt?

14/11/2013 at 17:16

Some years ago there was a traditional butcher in our area.  The kind of place which had pheasants and other game hanging in full view.  When Watership Down hit the cinemas he put up a sign

"You've seen the film, You've read the book -----

Now eat the cast"

It certainly caused comment!

14/11/2013 at 21:28

I'd avoid The Range, though. It seems to be a supermarket full of  fancy goods with Huge Turkeys with laser eyes zapping the customers.

The Turkey fights back.

I seem to have lost the christmas emoticons.

14/11/2013 at 21:33

I don't like the Volkswagon car ad. They leave Harvey behind and he's chasing the car for miles. Is that cruel or what?

16/11/2013 at 20:00

Yep Fidgetbones that's cruel all right!   By the way where do you get 

Christmas emoticons from?  Or for that matter all the other ones?  I only

have the happy face (but that's the most important one to have I guess!!)

16/11/2013 at 20:16

The sign at the right of the smiley face should bring down a selection of emoticons.

I've got santa hats now.

16/11/2013 at 21:17

Thanks a lot fidgetbones

1 to 20 of 24 messages