London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
4 messages
22/07/2014 at 10:42

I grew a large number of wallflowers from seed last autumn and planted them out in the late autumn. The plants came through the winter fine but have never flowered. They were supposed to flower with my tulips but I just have leaves, no flowers. Any advice welcome!

22/07/2014 at 10:45

I wonder if they need a cold spell to trigger flowering - we didn't get one last winter - I'd leave them where they are, give them a dose of Fish Blood and Bone and hopefully they'll flower next spring. 

22/07/2014 at 12:09

Hiya Helen, Just an observation and not the reason for your wallflowers not flowering but  I think you prob planted them out as little specimens as a lot of people do?   I plant out as large plants .....almost specimens....to make a good impact individually 

However, they are biennials and needed to have last summer to make good growth.  I would not feed them. Just let them grow hard.  They will flower next spring.....prob see some flowers in the autumn.

22/07/2014 at 20:17

I grew about 120 wallflowers from seed. I have a very small garden. I planted them on West, North and East facing borders. The ones on the West facing flowered best, the North facing (but sunny in the afternoons as nothing to block the sun) some flowered some didn't and the East facing bed (most shade) did not flower at all. So could be lack of sun? Tulips (in same positions) did fine though!

It is very disappointing isn't it? I pulled all mine out after the flowering ones finished as they took up too much room in my little patch.

email image
4 messages