Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Waste of time & effort ?

Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I've just read the thread about cucumelons and how they were bitter and needed pickling. I wondered if you'd grown anything with great expectations and found it a waste of time and effort.

Asparagus Peas. They needed a great deal of heat to germinate, they were carefully potted on, hardenened off and placed in a prime position, they needed a good sized area. They produced plenty of slender pea pods. I picked them very young, a lot smaller than my little finger, as directed. I was so looking forward to them.

They were like cardboard, they didn't taste one bit like asparagus. In fact steamed they didn't have a taste and stir fried they irritated my throat. On the positive side the flowers were lovely.

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

Sweet potatoes, they took a huge amount of room in my greenhouse for almost no return image  I don't think I watered them enough - but looking back the pot was never going to be large enough for a bumper crop!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I also grew gherkins in the garden one year. Bumper crop, I was thrilled. But then wondered how many pickled gherkins two people could eat.image

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

Sweetcorn - Wonderful taste but two mature cobs per plant before end of season just not viable. Anyone know a corn that gives a better return - 6 per plant would re-awaken my interest!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    KEF wrote (see)

I also grew gherkins in the garden one year. Bumper crop, I was thrilled. But then wondered how many pickled gherkins two people could eat.image

We can eat all you can grow and pickle, and there's only two of us image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Dove, if I still have the seeds you can have themimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Russian DIL is very keen on such things too - her Baboushka (grandmother) pickles hers in brine - she also grows tomatoes by the ton - huge meaty ones, and sweet peppers, huge and really sweet, so they tell me - I'm planning a trip out there next year after I've retired - Have I mentioned I'm retiring??? imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Cabbage. At the time I only had two veg beds 4ft by 10ft and was told they are easy pezzy to grow, can't go wrong. They were easy pezzy to grow but are huge and took up one veg bed. I may have grown 6, hardly a glut and I spent several nerve racking weeks keeping the slugs and caterpiller off the leaves for a crop which didn't taste that much different from stuff in the supermarket.     

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..melons in a cold greenhouse... summer and autumn were over and they still weren't ripe..... and this was in Cornwall.... perhaps they need the heated version...

Mangetout, grew loads, don't know why only like them in a stir fry. Grew summer broc' once, soaked in salt and when blanching to freeze caterpillers floated to the top. Yuk, yuk. Worst part we'd eaten loads. Now only grow purple sprouting broc' that matures in March, so no crawlies. Better not be any image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

aubergines. Though the plant was quite attractive

In the sticks near Peterborough