London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
15 messages
16/09/2013 at 15:53

Hello,Until Alan T appears on my television screen I feel all is well in my garden! Then 'ker pow' or is it just me with his enthusiasm for garden rooms and areas that makes me feel as though I have completely done my garden wrong?  

16/09/2013 at 15:57

if you've done your garden the way you want it, then it can't be wrong.

Wrong is copying something from somewhere else when it doesn't suit your garden.

TV gardening is entertainment, your garden is the real world

16/09/2013 at 15:58

A garden is your own personal piece of paradise.

Also , like Chelsea flower show display gardens, TV gardens cost an enormous amount of money.  Instant gardens are for the rich, the rest of us have gardens filled with seeds, and cuttings and presents from loved ones.

16/09/2013 at 17:29

Also remember that these gardens are made for non-gardeners. Why do you think they never go back and look at them 12 months, 2 years on? When they did on Ground Force, most of thwe gardens were no longer maintained the way they were made.

16/09/2013 at 19:15

Well said Nutcutlet,our gardens are us, very special and unique. Coping shows seems a common fashion  as if we want to emulate EXACTLY the shows.There seem to be no indivuality. This is not just in gardens but in home decor and clothes too. So much so they all look like show homes/gardens/kitchens/bathrooms etc. Is it just me?

16/09/2013 at 19:33

These gardens will deteriorate and wear after their first season. We could all have such a garden if money was no object but we are all trying to make something ourselves....it's our hobby,,passion, interest, comfort, haven etc.  no price on the value of that.

Often though I'm aware that some of the planting is not quite right..a lot of annuals are put in, perennials and shrubs placed too close together and sometimes the use of invasive plants will spoil the garden at some stage.

(hope Alan calls on me though....could do with one of those space craft modules)

17/09/2013 at 11:10

Thank you for all your comments and words of encouragement.  

17/09/2013 at 14:23

We can all watch these shows and say 'oh I'd like that or I don't like that' etc but they're for entertainment. If we pick up a few ideas to try or plants we'd like to buy then great - but we should enjoy creating our own plots, however big or small, and feel happy about the effort we put in to make them 'ours'. If we can come up with something interesting of our own it's even more satisfying.

I'd personally like to have a few of the fountains from the Villa d'Este but it ain't gonna happen in this tiny garden! 

17/09/2013 at 14:59

gardening ,would it not be lovely if we could all be perfect at it,but the truth is we never stop learning and we all make mistakes and it does not matter what you do as long as you enjoy being outside and gardening.

17/09/2013 at 15:08
jatnikapyar wrote (see)

Well said Nutcutlet,our gardens are us, very special and unique. Coping shows seems a common fashion  as if we want to emulate EXACTLY the shows.There seem to be no indivuality. This is not just in gardens but in home decor and clothes too. So much so they all look like show homes/gardens/kitchens/bathrooms etc. Is it just me?

No, it's not just you jatnik. 

17/09/2013 at 15:44

Planting in instant gardens tend to be on the large size and closely planted to fill the space. having had to move a few things that went in small which have subsequently got much bigger, quicker than anticipated (I know it gives av size on the label, but to be honest, sometimes I just shove things in where I want them at the time!), the on-going evaluating and tweaking, moving things and improving is part of the relationship I have with my garden, and it's that which has grown over the years that make me get up in the morning at the weekend looking forward to spending time out there. It just wouldn't be the same if it was instant and someone else's work (not that I would mind an extra pair of hands form time to time).

18/09/2013 at 18:17

Alan T doesn't so much "love" the gardens as have a one night stand with them . May give a brief thrill, but an ongoing relationship is much more rewarding 

18/09/2013 at 18:21

Nicely put catsmother

19/09/2013 at 18:51

Alan /T programme love your garden is old hat ,presenters do not gel whereas gardeners world with Monty Carol Joe  and Rachael is the best ,only wish they had an hour slot on Friday night . 

19/09/2013 at 19:45

We can but wish,Annie.

email image
15 messages