London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
7 messages
30/08/2013 at 18:22

I was just about to buy a second hand Galvanised watering can but found out It's got a small hole in it. So I was just wondering if anyone has had any success in repairing these old cans

30/08/2013 at 19:48

I plant flowers in the ones with holes, and use the ones without !

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30272.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

30/08/2013 at 20:12

still got my old dads.2 gal ,, must be  geting on for 50 years old .put away after summer now 

30/08/2013 at 21:15

That's what I didn't do with my last one left it out side year after year.

But the next one i'm going to store upside down in the shed over the winter to stop bugs climbing in side it and blocking the rosery up

have you see the prices of 8.8lt haws can £68.00 I even found a full size silver plated at a wopping £500.00

here is the haws link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002MJG60/ref=asc_df_B0002MJG6014658910?smid=A3QYASF99L136T&tag=shoppingmp84207-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B0002MJG60

James

30/08/2013 at 22:12

We found a temporary fix was to put some of that tar/pitch gunk used for fixing gutters into the hole.

31/08/2013 at 02:45

Thank you waterbutts but I have bought a new one and looking for a smaller one on ebay.

I bought a new plastic watering can from B&Q 6lt this year but when you fill it the bloody thing spills most of the water from the top, filling hole is to near the front of the can I have a good plastic can that I have used weed killer in but I've washed it out and have been using it for two months without any harm to plants also the rose is very easy to remove which is a plus But on GW last week a good tip was to fill watering cans up at night and then use these to water plants in the morning so this is what I intend to do next year. but I will also fill some 5lt buckets up as well 

James

31/08/2013 at 03:55

Hi, Clueless. My last job was interior gardener. Rainwater, or water that has been standing long enough to lose the chlorine is always best for most plants, but temp can be crucial.  A temp change in water can shock a plant into slowing it's growth, or cause it to bolt/ flower, or even increase growth. We mostly used tepid water on our indoor displays, as many plants were tropical, in bad conditions, and cold water at the roots could kill them quickly. They wer also gradually trained to need less water, as visits could be 3 wks apart. NEVER water your greenhose plants in summer with a hosepipe.  People often ask why their houseplant has died. Overwatering kills many plants, but many people don't realise that repeated watering with water that is too cold, (or hot), will kill them just as surely.  If you always fill enough cans or containers as soon as you have used them, and keep them in an area near your plants, wherever they may be, the water will be at the same temp as the soil/compost, and will not shock the roots.  Conversely, I am told that if you DO need to shock a plant into opening buds in time for a show, then watering with colder then warmer water can fool them. Plants that WE need to set fruit or flower at a certain time can be coerced into this by variations of temp, as, if they feel threatened they need to set a flower to reproduce, as will e.g. lettuce, beetroot, onions, in a hot summer, when you don't want them to. 

So, not only is the amount of water and its quality critical, but the TEMP of the water is, too. If we insist on growing plants in un-natural conditions (which we all love to do), and they reward us for our efforts, then an understanding of how water temp can help or hinder our efforts is important, too.  I am not aware of any scientific studies about this, only the wisdom of old plantsmen, and my own and other more expert, gardeners' experiences.  Unless you have a specific reason to, NEVER water your indoor plants with COLD water straight from the tap

email image
7 messages