Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

watering garden with water from a shower

Nigelp45Nigelp45 Posts: 4

Hi

My Veggy garden is starting to suffer with this heat and a hose pipe ban and I was thinking of putting a divert system in place to allow me to use water from my shower to water it  - - -  has anyone got any thoughts on this

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It'll be fine providing you don't use much in the way of soap or oils. Try and avoid wetting the leaves - the soil will take care of most things if you water around the plants.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

oh.. that is good to know..we have been using hose pipe up through bathroom window and tkaing out kids bath water into the butts... was getting desperate..image

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

I stand a small bucket in the shower with me which collects the cold water before it warms up, and if placed just right will catch quite a bit as I move around. I never put the water on veg or newly planted items if it's soapy, but the established plants do'nt seem to mind.

• Nigelp45Nigelp45 Posts: 4

Thank You All for your responses - - - if it works how I have planned it then it`ll be a drip feed direct onto the ground  - - will post my success or failure  LOL

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

I've read it's a good idea to use more natural soaps/detergents & to not store grey water but use it straight away.

Also I think the advice is to use bath/shower water around flowers etc. not edibles, due to probably miniscule risks of bacteria, micro organisms or whatever. 

With a hose pipe ban & our water butts running out all the time it's something lots of us will have to start doing I guess.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It's definitely not an idea to store grey water - it can reek to high heaven quite quickly.