Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weed wands...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Whilst out today I came across a store selling weed wands and nearly bought it but managed to reframe, thinking I might get a better deal on line.

It turns out there is quite a choice ranging from £9.99 plus and they come using either parasene or butane gas. One in home base is £19.99, which I rather liked because of the curved handle but don't really know which are best.

I want it to burn the weeds on the paths at the allotment.

Any suggestions as to which are best and why, can posters recommend any?

How long do the canisters last?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Zoomer - I thought of getting one when I was in a rented property which was overrun with horsetail. I decided against it as the gas canisters seemed to be a bit of  kerfuffle. Perhaps I was just being lazy though image

That's not really much help is it image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I was thinking of getting one to reduce the need to bend and stoop whilst on the allotment. I have a bad back and have some tools to make things easier. 

I'm not sure about the canisters either jo47 but sometimes needs must, I wasn't sure about a pertrol strimmer but wouldn't be without it nowimage.

I think what concerned me -  if I can remember - was the storing and handling of the canister Verd. I shelved the idea and went back to spot weedkilling (dandelions and horsetail mainly) for paved areas and paths. image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267
    I checked out the one at Homebase and the instructions said it has a safety lock so presumably when the canister is attached it locks on before it can be lit?

It's mainly docks and dandilions I want to keep down, marestail hasn't reached that part of the plot

Those are the awkward weeds Zoomer. I felt it wasn't worth the extra 'nuisance' factor of fiddling with and worrying about the canister. I suppose it depends how big an area you need to tackle though. I think you'd have to try it and see how you find it to use, if no one else has personal experience of them. 

Not sure I'm much help to you with it  image image

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

My OH has a thing about burning off the weeds.  He bought a cheapo wand from Lidl a couple of years ago and converted it so that it is now attached to the BBQ gas canister.  This keeps him contentedly occupied using his "flame gun" for a couple of hours a month.  I've had to stop him using it in the flower beds as he was zapping all the self seeded freebies that I love but I have to acknowledge that the driveway etc. has never looked better.  He maintains that the little canisters you get with these items are a total waste of time.  Hope that helps.image

Esspee - I have a vision in my head now of your OH and his supercharged flame thrower!  image

Men- what are they like? image