London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 43 messages
18/10/2013 at 20:11

What makes me happy in the autumn?  Nothing!  It's colder, wetter, darker   My favourite plants have disappeared    No gardeners world on the telly 

But wait!  There's a  garden to plan to be the best ever.  Gotta get those catalogues out and read them by the fire .  Get some new plants....try out one or two I've not yet had .  Gotta do this sharpish cos another great summer is a'comin. 

18/10/2013 at 20:37

What makes me happy in the autumn - seeing the back of the leaves, endless clearing up!  Love the colours though   Seeing hellebores growing and knowing that they'll be flowering through the worst of the weather....

18/10/2013 at 21:26

I don't know whether I'm in squirrel or hedgehog mode.

I've made jam, staceys mincemeat, chutney, xmas cake, and lots of  fruit in the freezer.

...but when its cold and wet I just want to hibernate.

18/10/2013 at 21:31

No FB, wrap up and get out there   No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing....

18/10/2013 at 21:36

Ha ha Verdun, something happened trying to  send my thread, it took me so long you had already done it. I wondered why you hadn't as it was your idea. Definitely got gremlins on my tablet.  

Anyway where was I ----- I love the changing colours of the leaves. I'm lucky enough to have many wild birds in my garden, so although they are there most of the year I love watching them feed this time of year.

18/10/2013 at 22:09

I love it when I get home in the bad weather when I can get snuggled up on the sofa knowing I don't need to go out again.

18/10/2013 at 22:11

pan of scouse

18/10/2013 at 22:14

Mmmm, yes comfort food 

18/10/2013 at 22:17

Sorry star gaze lily.

Shall we pursue this on Lily's thread folks?  

18/10/2013 at 23:56

No need to say sorry Verdun,  just teasing, your idea Think i have gremlins here tonight. Pages flickering all over the place Falling leaves, the autumn sunshine , our garden backs onto fields then woods the changing colours on the trees is magical. 

19/10/2013 at 08:07

What makes me happy? Oooooooooooo lots of things

• clearing ground where veggies were, digging it over and watching the hens go nuts hunting for bugs
  • seeing the cyclamen I bought from Tesco last Autumn spring into flower (all plants reduced from £4 to 4p for a tray of 6, so I cleared them out lol)
  • seeing the sea of cosmos 'purity' still going strong, along with dahlias, rudbekia, some type of daisy. Oh and the rose my Dad gave me a few Christmas's ago still in flower, and filling the air with scent. Sweetpeas are still doing this too
  • The fantastic array of firey tones of the leaves on the teas
  • The parsnips and leeks have swollen massively, and I'm starting to think about hearty stews etc.
  • The onions and garlic are well up now, giving the promise of Spring not being too far away
  • The biennials are doing well too, must plant them out
  • Cabbage is ready to go out too (it already is 'out', but isn't in open ground yet)
  • The egg bounty from my ladies
  • Making bread
  • Seeing the life cycle of the cottoneaster at the bottom of the garden - it fed swarms of honey and bumble bee in the Spring, and now it's juicy berries will feed the birds over Winter
  • My daughter's 'impossible' Salvia, three years old now and still flowering. No one told it it was supposed to be an annual in this country obviously lol
  • The amarllis bulbs just starting to come to life
  • The cheery faces of pansies and violas that are in the same pots as alliums, tulips, and fritallaria

Oooops I don't half go on lol

19/10/2013 at 08:13

lol Brum, I can't help it. I didn't sleep much, so my head's filled with random whitterings lol

19/10/2013 at 08:13

Wow..........you are a very happy person Emma  

I love the colours of the trees as they briefly wear their winter coats,and the crunch of the fallen leaves on a cold sunny morning,when I walk in the fileds.

19/10/2013 at 09:14

A walk round Batsford Arboretum on a sunny day with the dogs, followed by a pub lunch, sitting next to a big log fire in a pretty Cotswold village. That makes Autumn ok by me!

19/10/2013 at 09:19

Nice long list Emma 

19/10/2013 at 09:54

I enjoy clearing the borders so I can see how many new plants I can fit in. Also the cooler days make it easier to work.

19/10/2013 at 12:02

Eggy bounty Emma?

19/10/2013 at 17:07

Loveyou long long list Emma

19/10/2013 at 17:38

Yes Gilly I love walking in the fallen leaves. We have some lovely country lanes here to walk. And when we go to the coast I love the change of the sea, watching the waves crash on the rocks. I just like looking at the sea in general tho..

19/10/2013 at 18:10

I like walks in the park, the autumn colours on tree's are fabulous there. Soon be time to collect leaves. It's always a good feeling when the GH is cleaned, the shed tidy, beds mulched and bulbs planted.  

Know what you mean about the sea, star gaze lily, if you ever have the opportunity to dive in the sea it's amazing how rough it can seem on top and so calm at the bottom. We lived next to the sea when I was a teenager, you could see it from my bedroom window. Used to walk the dog on the beach almost everyday. Woke up one morning after a high tide and the beach was washed up on the road with a sailing boat in the garden opposite . Sea defences have improved a lot since then.

1 to 20 of 43 messages