Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What are people sowing right now?

Hiya

I am curious to know what people are sowing in their unheated greenhouses at this time. I have a heated propagator which I have dragged out of hibernation and have it ready to fire up in the conservatory ( also unheated)  and was wondering what's occurring in other greenhouses across the land. Is it too soon to start sowing tomatoes (some packets say sow from January, but that seems a bit early to me)

I live in Berkshire

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have seeds sown, hardy perennials hoping for a chill. My next sowing will be in a few weeks for those that don't need a chill.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

In a couple of weeks i'll start some off in a heated windowsill propagator - flowers mostly - rudbeckia, delphiniums, dahlias and lupins.  I will also get going on sweetpeas in loorolls.  The tomatoes, cucumbers, cosmos and cleomes will wait til March.  I move things from windowsill to unheated GH once the clocks go forward and i can visit them once a day (work full time, so don't see the GH in daylight ours from one weekend to the next at the moment).  What about you?  What are you going to sow in your conservatory??

• Well eventually (i.e. next month) I will start sowing my broccoli, lettuces and probably tomatoes As you said, Chicky, I will be sowing same flowers as you. I have to say I have never grown dahlias from seed before - only corms - so I might try them. Also, I was thinking of trying onions from seed instead of the sets.

Tomorrow, as it is going to be wet again (It was lovely here todayimage.) I shall take a spend a couple of hours perusing the seed section my local garden centres for fresh ideas. Hence the reason for my question.

Its my first go at dahlias too - folks on here recommended Bishops Children, so i thought i'd give them a go!  Done delphs and rudbeckias before with some success.  Exciting, isn't itimageimage

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..much too early for me... so nothing doing... start mid March usually...

• imageYes very exciting.

I shall also be looking for bulbs to plant to give a show in spring/summer for a tired looking bed I cleared last autumn. I put in some daffs, tulips and anenomes then and new leaves are sprouing nicely.  I should have put bigger numbers in I think for better displays.  

Tomorrow ( Tuesdays)  our garden centre has 10% off for over 60's so I usually take a list of bits then.  Great stuff

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'm the same as Salino. March for me before I'll sow anything. I'll do some tomatoes, lettuce and sweet peas. Any other annuals I want to grow will be done in situ. May do  more sweet peas that way as well. Our season starts later so I get colour at  the end   instead.

I did some white buddleia cuttings last year and a few people wanted them so I'll sort that later too. Unfortunately when they were undercover for a while, the little growhouse blew over and some of the pots got knocked about and they got mixed up with the purple ones so I'll have to check them before I send any! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i was going to leave all mine in dining room-east facing,little used-like i did last year, though this year i've bought a little pop up greenhouse so would they be better in there all along or after they sprout?

Louise - i always "sprout" mine indoors and then move them out.

I find that if i don't start flowers like rudbeckia off in mid Feb it is a struggle to get flowers out of them til summer is almost over. So i will stick with my tried and tested method of flowers in Feb, tomatoes etc etc in March

However, i am in the south east, so that maybe why it works imageimage
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i'm up north..it is cold!!