Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What do you have left to do in the garden this year?

Hope you managed to get them planted soon image Luckily I planted the last of mine out a few weeks ago.

The only things I really have to do is to keep collecting leaves for Leaf Mould then checking the plants in the GH for signs of Grey Mould and keeping the door open during the day. I've also got to keep checking for mould on my indoor Cyclamen in my conservatory and making sure my Paperwhites don't dry out image
Apart from that there's not much really to do except decide what I'm doing next year!

• You are so well organised!

I still have to finish cutting hedges, spread compost mulch, dig a new bed which has been under black plastic since the spring, put in the last of the bulbs, rake up moss and clean the block paving. I'm sure there's more too. The rain has delayed so much this year.

• Rake up the leaves, take some hardwood cuttings, keep an eye on seedlings in the coldframe, prune the grapevine, mulch around the rhubarb and the front border.  If the weather ever dries a bit I need to dig over the planned extension to the Little Wilderness and spread compost there.  The broken wrist stopped that happening earlier in the autumn. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

A lot...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

I'm a bit behind further to fingers crossed still for house move and having to take it easy after the little op but thank goodness so far only one night of frost image Need to rake up leaves and pass onto neighbour for her allotment (mind you this will be third lot!) and about two thirds of beds to tidy up, cut back, I would say a days work if I can get that day image Won't be today as pelting down! Oh just thought need to unwrap climbers from obelisks that I  want to take with me IF we move image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Weeding, weeding and more weeding. Then mulching, cutting back and tidying.  Will probably take me through til next springimage.  

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Loads! In fact my other half has just said sh*t loads!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

I've got a hedge to put in still this year. One of the most daunting gardening undertakings I've planned to date. Fortunately everything else is done until several new projects get started in the spring image I guess I'm about a month behind the planned schedule. We had a big set-back when we built a clay pond in the summer and the first attempt didn't hold water. It took another month of work and a change of design to get it right, which had led to delays with all the other jobs. This week finished double digging the veg plot - now it's just all the preparation for that hedge to get on with. image

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I'm a lot further ahead than I have been the last couple of years.  Bulbs are all in and the pots all swopped from the summer quarters to the garden beds.  Summer pots now reclining gracefully in the winter quarters.  Planted a few new things which seem to have taken OK.  Got up all the Ash tree leaves but the lilac is now releasing its load so that's to do.  Need to empty the last of the 2012 compost bin as the 2014 is full and needs topping off with a bag of horse droppings.  And all would have been finished had the weather not turned quite so cold and wet.  I've only got out there for a couple of hours this week.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

ps I drove past a local hardware shop and noticed plants outside. I bought a tray of 12 Sweet Williams in strong growth and looking really good.  I'm really pleased with them as they are another of my favourite flowers

• What have I got left to do in the garden quite a bit make a cold frame, still a few bulbs to plant, scarify the grass, put up screens, bit of sorting front garden and putting up a small fence out of pallets, putting away my plastic greenhouse and a good lot of tidying up to do, few things will need to be done in spring re make my raised bed as falling apart and adding compost

Then I have the station garden to think about lots of bulbs to plant out quite a few plants as well   

Hampshire Gardener