London (change)
Today 21°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
6 messages
30/05/2014 at 22:24

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47537.jpg?width=237&height=227&mode=max

these are on my magnolia trees after flowering ,what are they please,

30/05/2014 at 22:26

After flowers come the seeds

30/05/2014 at 22:30
Just the seedhead for example when a dandelion finished flowering you get a dandelion clock, a head full of seeds that you used to blow when you're a kid. Same principal
30/05/2014 at 22:51

What fantastic looking seeds ,i will keep an eye on them to see if i can grow a magnolia from seed ,these are the first ones weve ever had and i must admit iv never took too much notice before ,but now we have about 7 i see why people love them they are very beautiful tree, many thanks for that.

30/05/2014 at 23:41

Magnolias are sometimes referred to as cucumber trees due to that seed pod

31/05/2014 at 00:16

These are the ovaries.  In short.  A plant produces flowers.  There are male and female flowers, just as in the human and animal kingdom.  Some plants and omnipods are dual sexual, that is. Thay can self fertilize.  In the case of your plant.  The stigma has been the center of attraction for pollinating insects.  In fact it is the womb of the plant.  There are all the tiny eggs, waiting to be fertilized.  Sadly with indoor plants, these never get fertilized.  So it is a waste of time saving the seeds.  In the open garden, as flowers fade, many wait and finally colect the seed heads.  These are then carefully labelled and allowed to dry out.  Then the seeds are seperated from the husks or enbyolonic attachments.  Unless you are of a scientif nature.  At the end of the day.  Your saved seed might be, basically a waste of time.  However hopefully, some seed has been given the gift of life via the pollinator.  This seed if sown and cultured will produce a likeness to the parent.

email image
6 messages