London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 41 messages
29/03/2013 at 13:42

Red- lawn??? What's that?? Can't remember what they look like cos of the snow... Old house had masses of grass- why couldn't the s*&^*ng rabbits have eaten more of that..Agree with you re the tyres..Sleepers much more attractive. Disdave, do you have steps up/down to grass or is it all same level?  Garden looks like it would lend itself to a nice geometric style too- big statement plants and focal point. The pergola would frame your view nicely. Verdun are you going for 'carrot envy'? 

29/03/2013 at 14:07
To be fair the lawn is like a bog, but suppose he took the chance while the sun was out. Looks much neater! Just wish we could get the weather to be about four degrees! You step out the door expecting warmth and come back in with a wind burnt face!!!
29/03/2013 at 14:28
Red dahlia, you got him well trained. Impressive.
Artjak...used a crowbar to make carrot holes hence "crowbar" carrots.
Fairy girl, sleepers are yesterday's news now....ha ha. Tyres are......er, interesting.
Carrot envy? Me no understand! Me simple Cornishman!
My dog wants his run and someone's just called with some Easter chocs...hope there's lots there.
29/03/2013 at 14:40

Verdun .... I said sleepers because they were already being suggested To be honest they're not my favourite thing but the new ones are useful for raised beds. I prefer rendered masonry  or stone.

Tyres are for spuds..

Don't eat too many chocs or you'll have to eat all those carrots to lose weight. Hee hee!

29/03/2013 at 15:02

Fairygirl...re slugs, have 2 ponds, one of which has a healthy population of frogs spawning every year, also hedgehog house, which has visitors, but sadly still loads of slugs.  The soil here is very heavy clay (there's a brickworks down the road!), is slow to heat and is very very wet (even with extensive drainage).  Nematodes have been tried with no impact several times.  Slug pellets help, but even so, maincrop spuds come out so full of holes I've given up and just grow earlies.  Bran, copper, ashes, you name it, has been tried. 

29/03/2013 at 15:16

Fairygirl, its the same level. 

29/03/2013 at 17:17
Well my foot us firmly down, no to tractor tyres!! I want stone build raised beds but no chance with the cost, just can't afford that. Knowing us it will be a long project in the planning and then we will do just before moving home!!!!! My tatties are in the conservatory in builders buckets!!!! The others are still chitting waiting for the sun to warm up the raised bed.

Unsure if these 'massive' carots will materialise. My last years early Nantes but 1.5ft top on and nothing at base. New soil so really did dissappoint but this year I'm filling a dog bath and will attempt a better yield!!

It has taken me 5 years to get him as trained as this, when we first got together he introduced me to the family as a girl who rides horses, can pluck and draw a phesant and knows varieties of potatos!!! No clue if I should have been offended, happy or embarrassed!!!

Still don't manage to get him to clean my fork and spade and oil them before winter!! I'm trying tho!!!
29/03/2013 at 17:39
Red dahlia, remind me...why do you want raised beds?
Can you manage without them?
For carrots why not dig your soil deeply, remove stones and add fertiliser?
I dont really like tyres either or sleepers. If your soil is light raised beds can be a nightmare to keep watered, can harbour bugs like wood lice,, slugs, etc
If you really want raised beds I would look to making them attractive as possible so maybe a project for later?
29/03/2013 at 18:25
discodave wrote (see)

Yeah Fig, I have a patio then grass little mock up piccy - (not included the borders but you get the idea)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20722.jpg?width=350

discodave wrote (see)

Yeah Fig, I have a patio then grass little mock up piccy - (not included the borders but you get the idea)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20722.jpg?width=350

If you're thinking of an arch to span the transition between paving and what I assume is lawn, I think that would work really well. What dimensions are the gap?

29/03/2013 at 20:20
The garden at the front is extremely heavy clay that has never been turned. I dug out a whole mini skip to make 2 boarders and bought in soil. Other than that it would be far too heavy for me to work. The next door neighbour told me when I moved in and we were chatting over the hedge, I said I wanted to put veg at the front. He said he has been working his for 20 years and still is struggling! Straight away I said raised beds or no beds!!!!
29/03/2013 at 22:09
Red dahlia, yes I see that raised beds are the answer then.
It's just that I personally don't like them but then I garden on light soil.
If cost is prohibitive just now could you mound up soil for this summer? I have done this in the past.
29/03/2013 at 22:47
We are on a hill and catch the wind quite a lot. My worry is that it will be rather exposed if I just do mounds or raised beds. So I'm almost certain in my head that I need a fixed design, get the structure in and then plant around to soften. Then veg. But I think with cost it won't be ready for this season. Maybe for the winter veg.

I haven't quite Sussex how to make the most if my veg and flower bed in the winter period. It's that bleak time that worries me the most with putting beds in the front.

Don't get me wrong I'm not hung up totally on neatness and looks but with the beds being at the front they will be surveyed by all! The neighbours down the lane knew I had new flower beds at the front before I even cut the first sod, if you know what I mean.
29/03/2013 at 23:03
Red dahlia. I think you are right. A raised bed with planting to disguise it. You would want plants that would grow in heavy clay then?
I grow a lovely yellow privet...ligustrum Aureum ..... that would look good, disguise the raised bed boards and give some protection against the wind???
29/03/2013 at 23:07
I'm thinking and only a thought. A one sleeper high bed for flowers then 2 high for the veg. So lots of slow neat growing evergreens for winter then suppliment in spring/summer. Depends if we can source sleepers, hedging such as willow and soil without it costing more than my mortgage !!
30/03/2013 at 01:02
I'm being short changed here, I need one of them!

I normally have to think up ever increasingly 'exciting' jobs for my bf to do, even then I do so with the intention of creating as few problems as possible. He just says he likes digging, which is alright but I'd like him to do more building and weeding really.
30/03/2013 at 08:03

I looked out the window yesterday and discovered that mine had filled up all my bird feeders Without Being Asked!!! 

30/03/2013 at 08:10
figrat wrote (see)
discodave wrote (see)

If you're thinking of an arch to span the transition between paving and what I assume is lawn, I think that would work really well. What dimensions are the gap?

Its 255cm Figrat

30/03/2013 at 08:25
Red dahlia, that sounds like a plan
30/03/2013 at 08:30

Thats the trouble Red dahlia, sleepers used to be cheap as chips until they became all the rage now they can cost an arm and a leg. Although this place looks decent value

http://www.railwaysleeper.co.uk/railway_sleepers.php?gclid=CKzIwcSCpLYCFePHtAodR1YAtQ

Don't know about the delivery charge though

30/03/2013 at 09:09
* Red Dahlia * wrote (see)

Don't get me wrong I'm not hung up totally on neatness and looks but with the beds being at the front they will be surveyed by all! The neighbours down the lane knew I had new flower beds at the front before I even cut the first sod, if you know what I mean.

The raised beds with a bit of 'disguise' are probably your best bet Red D. I'm also high and windy (the location that is...!) and on clay. The only alternative is years trying to improve the soil which isn't feasible for you. A screen of evergeens is always a good idea and gives you something that looks more garden-y in the winter. You could always add a few moveable containers for wintertime too?

21 to 40 of 41 messages