London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
16 messages
24/11/2013 at 13:38

Finding some little snowdrops already peeking through the soil this morning made me think about all the things I'm looking forward to this winter.

I love the hoar frost on the fennel seedheads outside the kitchen window  - I planted the fennel there so that on a cold winter's day I'd look out from the kitchen window and see my garden through the frosted fennel - so I don't cut the fennel back until late winter/early spring.

I love watching the birds on the feeders that hang from our big ash trees - we get so many different ones and I can sit and watch them for hours.

Winter is such a good time to get to know your garden - ours is a very new garden and there's lots still to do - looking at the garden when it's in monochrome is a real help in planning for shape and structure.

What do you look forward to seeing and doing in your garden in the winter?

24/11/2013 at 14:22

I shall have to go and check all the snowdrop sites.

It's only a few weeks to the winter solstice then the days get longer. By mid January I'm looking for (and finding) signs of spring. 

I spend a lot of winter garden time looking for signs of new growth. A garden is never truly dormant, though sometimes it all disappears under snow.  There's always a bud growing or the scent of sarcoccca, lonicera or viburnum. Then, when the snow melts, the snowdrops and aconites are ready, hellebores not far behind and it all starts again.

There's a bit of tree work to do first though. That's another thing I enjoy, a bit of pruning and shredding. OH on the chainsaw, me on the loppers and shredder. We keep warm pruning then we keep warm again later by the woodstove.

24/11/2013 at 14:26

One of my most  favourite sights is hazel catkins dancing in the breeze - I'm hoping to find room for a little hazel hedge at the bottom of the garden 

24/11/2013 at 14:34

That's quite cheered me up - must go snowdrop hunting soon.  funny thing is all the leaves are still on the trees here - makes it hard to believe we are close to mid-winter - I have never known an autumn so late

24/11/2013 at 14:40

I thought autumn was late til I looked at previous years' photos chicky. Golden field maples in late November appear regularly.

Looking out, it's autumn, lots of colour still. It feels more like winter when you get out there. The temperature isn't that low but it's drizzling on and off and a bit breezy.

KEF
24/11/2013 at 14:56

Like Chicky, this thread has cheered me up. It's only since joining the forum I've started to think positively about Winter, I used to put the garden to bed and sit and sulk and long for Spring.

I've always left the teasel and cardoon heads on, they look good with frost on, the birds use the fluff from cardoon for nesting. This year I have a small eryngium near the window that I should look good frosted ( please say if it should be cut down). I leave some heads on the buddleja and there's always the holly to look at. This year I've got 5 more lots of bulbs around the garden & seven more tubs planted.

Can't say I relish the cold months, but if I keep my eyes open to what is around and stay positive it will soon be Spring. Plus I'll have to check GH for stuff I've sown that might germinate early Lovely thread Dove.  

24/11/2013 at 15:04

I also love wandering around during Winter looking for signs of life.  Some things I regularly check are the clematis in mind of pruning in February - sometimes the buds get going a bit early during a mild period and then get killed by frost so they need pruning differently to the original 'plan'.  Noticed a few snowdrops just peeking above the soil while planting some bulbs yesterday (as well as a few Honey fungus rhizomes in new areas - grr!)  Lots of cyclamen hederifolium in places I didn't plant them - clearly spread by seed which have a high germination rate in my garden.  Looking forward to post solstice - always feel better in myself when the days start lengthening.  At the moment I can only get out in the garden at weekends and I'm not an early riser, so the light is gone before I get much done.

24/11/2013 at 15:10

My first baby was born during the night of the Winter Solstice, so it's always been a time of excitement and wonderful new beginnings for me  

24/11/2013 at 15:26
Like KEF I never really considered the garden in winter until being here amongst the forumers. For the last year or two I have concentrated on trying to find late flowering plants, this year my garden won't stop flowering! I imagine its a combination of better chosen plants and the weather this year.
We used to have a show of snowdrops but they disappeared two years ago, always thought they were difficult to grow so never replanted any, another one for the list
I love to see the garden in the snow and now look forward to learning more about the garden in winter, with GH, cloches and fleecr to fathom
24/11/2013 at 15:32

I've always loved holly - it always felt as if it was special to me as a child, then I discovered it's on the family crest so maybe I have some sort of inherited memory.  Anyway, I'd love to find somewhere for a holly in this garden - pondering 

24/11/2013 at 16:12

Dove, is Hazel Catkins a bit eccentric?  Is she one of your neighbours?  Why does she "dance in breeze"?  Bit cold for that isnt it? 

Not sure I actually love winter.  Prefer the warmer months.  Bit like Bob I tend to think about the shortest day and after that it's all about optimism 

Needed couple of items from garden centre ....got everything 20% off which is nice.  A santolina  lemon fizz was in the clearance bay at £5 so asked for 20% off that too.  £4 then so got a couple more clearance plants plus the discount. ( surely if there is a discount it should also be on clearance lines....logical to me).   Loosened a few roots and repotted.  They will be superb next spring.  

Not much sun today after all but not a bad day......prob 9 degrees, dry and no wind 

24/11/2013 at 16:22

We all dance in the spring breezes around here Verdun - old East Anglian custom - when fuelled by Adnams bitter 

It's amazing what East Anglians will do, with a little alchofrolic encouragement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2AfxpOZA4 

Our GCs always apply the reductions to the 'needing TLC' stuff as well - can get some really good bargains that way 

24/11/2013 at 19:38

Dove, all those people rushing into the sea reminds me of a few years back when I shouted "sshhhhhark" and suddenly everyone rushed out of the sea.  Well, I was bit younger then and thought it very funny!

24/11/2013 at 19:44

And you escaped???!!!  Tsk tsk!!!

24/11/2013 at 21:47

I like all the seasons for different reasons. 

Glad I'm not the only one who looks for signs of new growth. I'm looking forward to my clemantis flowering in December and if it's going to be cold I like the snow when it comes. I may complain about the roads being icy and bins not being emptied but the garden can look so picturesque with the paths cleared and a covering of snow on it.

I like to hear and see birds coming to feed on the bird table or drinking at the bird baths. It's nice to plan for the coming year too, deciding what veg to grow and were it's to be planted.   

KEF
25/11/2013 at 19:09

I also love seeing the birds come to feed & have a bath. Not too keen about socks & crocs on ( coat over dressing gown)  kettle in hand first thing in the morning. However I need a warm drink and a shower so I guess my feathered friends deserve one. 

email image
16 messages