London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
27/12/2013 at 13:38

I did go a bit overboard with aquilegia seeds this summer.20 packets from the national collection(touchwood), half planted this year, up and waiting to be pricked out. Half waiting to be sown.I am going to prick them out into 3 inch pots, plant out into the veg patch after the broad beans come out, and then select my favourites when they flower. Most are yellow and orange doubles and poms poms, I suspect there will be many spare.

29/12/2013 at 20:40

Pulmonaria blue ensign is a beauty but my obsession this year, as it is every year: geraniums! So many varieties and, oh, their evening glow! CAN'T WAIT

29/12/2013 at 20:49

I really think next years obsession is going to be Dahlias and Osteospermum whirligig with coneflowers

clueless

29/12/2013 at 21:20

Hi Verdun,

I have a Var Day lily bought because it was different, called Kwanso about 4 seasons ago. it has not been a great grower, as it throws up pure cream leaves which wither away.

It does not flower very well either!

As for the green leaved varieties they grow like weeds for me, but they are difficult to pot up to sell  at the plant sales, so I have given up trying!

Cheers!

29/12/2013 at 22:13

Jimmy, try golden zebra.  In good soil it is superb 

29/12/2013 at 23:01

2013 was the year of the Michaelmas daisy for me. Hadn't been tempted much before as you have to wait so long for them. Planted 7 varieties I hadn't got and it was worth the wait. Also planted 3 more pulmonarias that I bought in England, only had one before. Don't see them in the French GCs. They grow wild here so conditions should be OK.

Don't know what it will be for 2014, not much room left anyway.

01/01/2014 at 17:32

Hardy fushias. Plants always have the last word , they never seem to grow well in back garden so allowed as couple in the front, even though they don't really fit into the colour scheme. Have grown well but fancy packing a few more into small gaps. Then the challenge will be pinching out .....Haven't quite got my head round this yet!

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages