Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 27 replies

I have got the helenium bug.....it's ok its dangerous only to your bank balance.  It's not my only plant obsession but I grew heleniums for the first time last year....put off by their not too attractive foliage before......and they were fantastic.  I'm growing more next year.  Got maybe 6 varieties but will add another 6 I guess, or 7 or 8!  

Hooked on agastaches too....have at least dozen varieties of those......amd hellebores, maybe 35 varieties of those and then there are the salvias and the.........

but I feel the urge to be botanically obsessed about something else.   Must be the cold dark melancholy of these winter days but spring beckons. 

nutcutlet

I haven't decided yet Verdun. There's not much left from some of my earlier obsessions. 

Achillea, lots of lovely oranges and tans. Now down to a few creams.

Codonopsis, there may be a few clematidea left

Arisaema, only tortuosum appeared this year

We shall see. I like to keep a diverse collection, including lots of native,s to support our fellow residents. 

hmm as confessed on another thread I am quite hooked on hellebores. I think this year I might be a bit potty about pulmonaria too and add to my (so far very limited) collection (2 varieties!). I think I might have to succumb to the charms of the white flowered one - might be sissinghurst white?

nutcutlet

I love pulmonarias. You'll have to look after that white one Gg, it's a bit feeble compared to most of the others. I lost it very quickly

BobTheGardener

I haven't yet decided what my obsession will be for next year Verdun, but all I'm sure of is that there will be one!  I have about 70-80 aquilegia crosses I made which grew from seeds last year and should flower this year so once I've selected and moved the best of those I should have plenty of space for whatever takes my fancy.  Back to the catalogues it is then!   Happy Christmas my friend!

Advertisement

That sounds quite exciting bob.  You may have a gem or two there.

Happy Xmas to you too.  

Dovefromabove

So far it's the same as last year - hellebores, aquilegias, pulmonarias - but that's only until I think of some more to add to the list - one things for certain - there may be some added but they will not take the place of any that are already there - the list will just get bigger!!!!!!!!!!!

cairnsie

Funny I am growing a lot of aquilegias at the moment looking forward to seeing how they turn out,

nutcutlet

I had a big aquilegia sow around this time  last year.

I hope for a great flowering this year but, due to too much happenin, I haven't got them in the garden yet

Stacey Docherty

Woodland planting and wildflowers..... Having sowed the little part of my front lawn to wild seed last week I'm excited to see what happens.... Also just going to get a little obsessed at better layering in the borders  

fidgetbones

I got excited  this year by my Roscoea  cautleoides Kew Beauty.   It produced seed for the first time, and while googling for methods to sow it, I got excited by "Red Ghurka". At the nursery , they also had some R.purpurea hybrids which were huge compared to the old R.purpurea and humeana I had. So I had to have some. Then I had to make a special bed for them.

Hellebores, I have got 6 in the last few months, and plan a few more.

Phlox, I want some more colours.

I did have a pulmonaria fetish a few years ago,marjorie fish seems to dominate long therm though.

Mark 499

I have over 300 varieties of Hemerocallis, I think that could be called an obsession.

fidgetbones

Oh yes, Mark, thats definitely an obsession.

Mark, do you like hemerocallis?      Not my fav plant but I have a couple of good ones, mainly a vsriegated variety.  Any tips for growing them well?  

Advertisement

Roger  Brook

I have an extensive boundary with the surrounding farm fields and  i keep the edge - about three foot wide -  beyond my existing shrubs etc totally weed free (with the farmers tacit approval).  I  know some people would prefer the original nettles but my current project is planting spare herbaceous plants (which I am already obsessed with). All the plants are nectar rich and will attract pollinators. I have already got Helianthus on the field side of a short stretch of dwarf wall and things like Inula hookerii, Sedum spectabiile  and Aster novae anglae divisions will be going in. I have previously planted certain plants there that host insect an beetle larvae.

The farmer is kind enough to be careful with his herbicide each year

(can't figure out how to quote Nut!) really fancy P Sissinghurst White but I have held off buying it because never seen it (looking gorgeous) at less than £15. If it's a bit feeble, maybe I'll stick with the two I've got.  I tried that Blue one - is it Blue Ensign? - that disappears for a rest when it's dormant..... it never came back!

Also sympathizing with the Aquilegia obsession. I'm desperately trying to get some A. Nora Barlow seedlings going in a pot and also looking out in the borders for some self-sown seedlings that I can transplant. They are such lovely plants

nutcutlet

Grow Aquilegia viridiflora Gg. It doesn't survive long for me but creates some great hybrids with the standard A. vulgaris and those yellow/red species, A.canadensis in particular

punkdoc

I get excited about anyrhing new that I grow, so some of next years seeds will become my new darlings. I have a fair few Euphorbias and so will try a few new species next year. This year I grew martinii for the first time and it is a beauty. I love the lime green flowers on Euphorbia which seem to look good with so many other colours and styles.

Gimglygangly, 

Pulmonaria blue ensign is a beauty.  It does go dormant.  After flowering I divide mine usually into 2  x 3 litre pots.  The space is then used for a tender perennial or a lupin.  In the autumn I plant out my potted Pulmonarias.  Then you don't lose them.