London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
26/12/2013 at 11:42

I have got the helenium bug.....it's ok its dangerous only to your bank balance.  It's not my only plant obsession but I grew heleniums for the first time last year....put off by their not too attractive foliage before......and they were fantastic.  I'm growing more next year.  Got maybe 6 varieties but will add another 6 I guess, or 7 or 8!  

Hooked on agastaches too....have at least dozen varieties of those......amd hellebores, maybe 35 varieties of those and then there are the salvias and the.........

but I feel the urge to be botanically obsessed about something else.   Must be the cold dark melancholy of these winter days but spring beckons. 

26/12/2013 at 13:00

I haven't decided yet Verdun. There's not much left from some of my earlier obsessions. 

Achillea, lots of lovely oranges and tans. Now down to a few creams.

Codonopsis, there may be a few clematidea left

Arisaema, only tortuosum appeared this year

We shall see. I like to keep a diverse collection, including lots of native,s to support our fellow residents. 

26/12/2013 at 13:48

hmm as confessed on another thread I am quite hooked on hellebores. I think this year I might be a bit potty about pulmonaria too and add to my (so far very limited) collection (2 varieties!). I think I might have to succumb to the charms of the white flowered one - might be sissinghurst white?

26/12/2013 at 13:52

I love pulmonarias. You'll have to look after that white one Gg, it's a bit feeble compared to most of the others. I lost it very quickly

26/12/2013 at 15:09

I haven't yet decided what my obsession will be for next year Verdun, but all I'm sure of is that there will be one!  I have about 70-80 aquilegia crosses I made which grew from seeds last year and should flower this year so once I've selected and moved the best of those I should have plenty of space for whatever takes my fancy.  Back to the catalogues it is then!   Happy Christmas my friend!

26/12/2013 at 18:38

That sounds quite exciting bob.  You may have a gem or two there.

Happy Xmas to you too.  

26/12/2013 at 19:34

So far it's the same as last year - hellebores, aquilegias, pulmonarias - but that's only until I think of some more to add to the list - one things for certain - there may be some added but they will not take the place of any that are already there - the list will just get bigger!!!!!!!!!!!

26/12/2013 at 19:39

Funny I am growing a lot of aquilegias at the moment looking forward to seeing how they turn out,

26/12/2013 at 19:54

For Heleniums look here

www.specialperennials.com

I intend getting more Geums if I can.

26/12/2013 at 19:55

I had a big aquilegia sow around this time  last year.

I hope for a great flowering this year but, due to too much happenin, I haven't got them in the garden yet

26/12/2013 at 21:05

Woodland planting and wildflowers..... Having sowed the little part of my front lawn to wild seed last week I'm excited to see what happens.... Also just going to get a little obsessed at better layering in the borders  

26/12/2013 at 21:34

I got excited  this year by my Roscoea  cautleoides Kew Beauty.   It produced seed for the first time, and while googling for methods to sow it, I got excited by "Red Ghurka". At the nursery , they also had some R.purpurea hybrids which were huge compared to the old R.purpurea and humeana I had. So I had to have some. Then I had to make a special bed for them.

Hellebores, I have got 6 in the last few months, and plan a few more.

Phlox, I want some more colours.

I did have a pulmonaria fetish a few years ago,marjorie fish seems to dominate long therm though.

26/12/2013 at 22:09

I have over 300 varieties of Hemerocallis, I think that could be called an obsession.

26/12/2013 at 22:13

Oh yes, Mark, thats definitely an obsession.

27/12/2013 at 00:05

Mark, do you like hemerocallis?      Not my fav plant but I have a couple of good ones, mainly a vsriegated variety.  Any tips for growing them well?  

27/12/2013 at 09:11

I have an extensive boundary with the surrounding farm fields and  i keep the edge - about three foot wide -  beyond my existing shrubs etc totally weed free (with the farmers tacit approval).  I  know some people would prefer the original nettles but my current project is planting spare herbaceous plants (which I am already obsessed with). All the plants are nectar rich and will attract pollinators. I have already got Helianthus on the field side of a short stretch of dwarf wall and things like Inula hookerii, Sedum spectabiile  and Aster novae anglae divisions will be going in. I have previously planted certain plants there that host insect an beetle larvae.

The farmer is kind enough to be careful with his herbicide each year

27/12/2013 at 09:13

(can't figure out how to quote Nut!) really fancy P Sissinghurst White but I have held off buying it because never seen it (looking gorgeous) at less than £15. If it's a bit feeble, maybe I'll stick with the two I've got.  I tried that Blue one - is it Blue Ensign? - that disappears for a rest when it's dormant..... it never came back!

Also sympathizing with the Aquilegia obsession. I'm desperately trying to get some A. Nora Barlow seedlings going in a pot and also looking out in the borders for some self-sown seedlings that I can transplant. They are such lovely plants

27/12/2013 at 09:17

Grow Aquilegia viridiflora Gg. It doesn't survive long for me but creates some great hybrids with the standard A. vulgaris and those yellow/red species, A.canadensis in particular

27/12/2013 at 12:43

I get excited about anyrhing new that I grow, so some of next years seeds will become my new darlings. I have a fair few Euphorbias and so will try a few new species next year. This year I grew martinii for the first time and it is a beauty. I love the lime green flowers on Euphorbia which seem to look good with so many other colours and styles.

27/12/2013 at 13:33

Gimglygangly, 

Pulmonaria blue ensign is a beauty.  It does go dormant.  After flowering I divide mine usually into 2  x 3 litre pots.  The space is then used for a tender perennial or a lupin.  In the autumn I plant out my potted Pulmonarias.  Then you don't lose them.

1 to 20 of 27 messages