Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What perennials are ŷou currently obsessed about for next year?

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

I have got the helenium bug.....it's ok its dangerous only to your bank balance.  It's not my only plant obsession but I grew heleniums for the first time last year....put off by their not too attractive foliage before......and they were fantastic.  I'm growing more next year.  Got maybe 6 varieties but will add another 6 I guess, or 7 or 8!  image

Hooked on agastaches too....have at least dozen varieties of those......amd hellebores, maybe 35 varieties of those and then there are the salvias and the.........image

but I feel the urge to be botanically obsessed about something else.   Must be the cold dark melancholy of these winter days but spring beckons. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I haven't decided yet Verdun. There's not much left from some of my earlier obsessions. 

Achillea, lots of lovely oranges and tans. Now down to a few creams.

Codonopsis, there may be a few clematidea left

Arisaema, only tortuosum appeared this year

We shall see. I like to keep a diverse collection, including lots of native,s to support our fellow residents. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • hmm as confessed on another thread I am quite hooked on hellebores. I think this year I might be a bit potty about pulmonaria too and add to my (so far very limited) collection (2 varieties!). I think I might have to succumb to the charms of the white flowered one - might be sissinghurst white?

I love pulmonarias. You'll have to look after that white one Gg, it's a bit feeble compared to most of the others. I lost it very quickly

• I haven't yet decided what my obsession will be for next year Verdun, but all I'm sure of is that there will be one!  I have about 70-80 aquilegia crosses I made which grew from seeds last year and should flower this year so once I've selected and moved the best of those I should have plenty of space for whatever takes my fancy.  Back to the catalogues it is then! image  Happy Christmas my friend!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • So far it's the same as last year - hellebores, aquilegias, pulmonarias - but that's only until I think of some more to add to the list - one things for certain - there may be some added but they will not take the place of any that are already there - the list will just get bigger!!!!!!!!!!!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Funny I am growing a lot of aquilegias at the moment looking forward to seeing how they turn out,

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

For Heleniums look here

www.specialperennials.com

I intend getting more Geums if I can.

I had a big aquilegia sow around this time  last year.

I hope for a great flowering this year but, due to too much happenin, I haven't got them in the garden yet

• Woodland planting and wildflowers..... Having sowed the little part of my front lawn to wild seed last week I'm excited to see what happens.... Also just going to get a little obsessed at better layering in the borders