Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What pollinates Molly the Witch

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Coffee break and question time from meimage

Paeonia mlokosewitschii flowers prolifically every year but I rarely get a fertile seed.

This year there are none. What am I missing. All the tree paeonies make fertile seed 

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Don't know Nut .... but I'm a bit worried about my Molly - about a month ago most of the leaves turned brown - do they normally do that or is mine very unhappy?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mine turned brown as well, it does die back fairly early each year so perhaps it's just because of the early start this year? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine looks rough now Dove, I haven't tried but I should think if I pulled gently all the stems would come free. Don't forget where she is, expect her back next year.

Just went and pulled, most are loose but I tend to leave them there till I've finished other autumn works to remind me of her location.image

• Thanks both - I'll stop fretting image  I was wondering whether she'd not been happy with the sunshine she had in the west facing bed. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I've just taken about 50 seeds off of three heads. (the black shiny ones, not the red infertile ones.) My molly is dying back now. I should call it blushing molly, because it has a slight pink flush at the base of the yellow petals. I gather molly should be pure yellow.

If anyone wants some blushing molly seeds, let me know.

I dont know what pollinates it, there are no other peonies in flower around here at that time of year, so I have always assumed it is self pollinated , perhaps with help from a bee or something.

I think it was your photo I saw last year fidget. Mine has about the same amount of seed heads as that with, last year, 5 fertile ones. This year just the little red nothings.

I'd like some blushing seeds please, image

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..this doesn't really answer your question but might be useful in any case...

from the late Christopher Lloyd 'Garden Flowers'...

''It is easy to grow but crosses easily with other peonies flowering at the same time. As most of those are carmine, the results are anaemic pinky-yellow hybrids.

...seeds freely - the seeds black with a hint of blue, the aborted seeds bright carmine. If sown as soon as ripe, they will germinate the next spring [allow frost to reach them]. If not sown for a few weeks, they will demonstrate epicotyl dormancy, sending down a root in the first spring but no leaf till the second.  Flowering may not be for five years, so you must not expect a bargain price that will give no reward to the grower.''...

Hi Salino, he's right. My own paeonies germinate in the first spring. bought seed germinates in the next if I'm lucky. I don't have anything that flowers with Molly, everything else is later. Not much later but enough.

Is 'Garden Flowers' a good CL book? I love his writing style but have been disappointed with later'picture books'. 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..more of a picture book... mind you they are really good....the photos are outstanding I think, crisp and glossy and quite beautifully done....sometimes a  bit brief on plant descriptions here and there but still plenty to like especially on Tulips and Narcissus...

..if you like perennials I find it useful, although like so many books they get a bit out of date as newer varieties come on the market.... his reviews of Helenium's and Agastache's for instance wouldn't excite you... I mean there's better than 'Moerheim Beauty' now isn't there...?  well, I think so...

Might do Ok for me Salino. Never been much into the latest anything. image

I'll see if I can find a copy at my priceimage