London (change)
Wed 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
8 messages
05/06/2014 at 18:58

We put some asda grow more granules on the dalia bed and it has rained. Today the leaves as partly floppy and some brown, also they look like they have been touched by frost, it's clearly the fertiliser. Will they recover, shall I water them more or????

05/06/2014 at 19:09

Hiya Red

Can you scrape away some,of the ferriliser?  Then water well.  You prob got fertiliser on the leaves themselves so the rain would have helped a bit. Remove the brown leaves, leave,the floppy and avoid feeding.  Hopefully....well, most likely....your dahlias  will recover 

I dont use Gromore types...they are fierce, caustic and aggressive if over applied.  Organic fertilisers tend to be slower acting.  Try to resist the temptation to apply fertilisers simply to hurry on growth.  June is a time when plants will burst Imto growth amd flower very quickly so nature rather than fertiliser will encourage growth.  Apart from possible scorching roo much fertiliser produces soft, slug attractive plants.

05/06/2014 at 19:21

Hi, I applied at 1/4 the dose it asked for. It was on poor soil and people kept telling me that it needs a feed! Will it be best to leave alone for a couple of days then assess the damage then remove poorly leaves. We have had so much rain here I bet the splashing up has been my enemy. I usually use blood and bone or chicken. I ran out using this on my back so the other half said use the grow more. I did at weak strength but..... One Step forward , 2 back. Oh well lesson learnt! 

05/06/2014 at 19:31

Yes Red, relaaaaax. Leave well alone for now.  

05/06/2014 at 19:50

You sound like my dad!!!!

05/06/2014 at 20:11

I am your dad.  

05/06/2014 at 20:36

Scary, he can't use his phone never mind about internet!!

05/06/2014 at 21:07

I like it.  A good bit of humour.

As Verdun suggests.  Leave well alone for the time being.  Keep the base of the plants well watered.

email image
8 messages