Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What to do with my Dahlia tubers now please?

Hello Aym280. Think it is a bit early to pot up dahlia tubers yet. I live in the NE and pot them into compost in April/ May time. That way we have glorious flowers during the summer.

Last year I potted them up a bit earlier and put them out early( in June) , in the ground, and they were sacrificed to a spate of severe winds. So this year, they will stay in the porch in their pots until much later .

If you live down South the practice  may be different.

• ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

Agree with you there Hazel I live in the NE too and even early June can be  cold enough to check Dahlias

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

You can put dahlia tubers in a pot of multipurpose compost, but keep it on tge dry side until you see shoots , then water and feed. Mine are kept over winter this way, potted in old compost I used last year for the tomatoes. I dont water at all over winter. When they start shooting, I start watering and feeding, potting on into larger pots when necessary. They cant go into the garden until June in my area(east midlands)

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

So glad you asked this question. I've saved them for the first time and had no idea they go on so late. I'm east midlands too so will follow your lead fidget. Thanks!

• Hi aym and welcome to the forum image

Keep the dahlias in a sheltered spot away from any frost and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you. 

If you have more questions do come here and ask - someone will know how to help you - googling can be a bit risky image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LOL no - the name is from the Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer comedy show Shooting Stars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT_0_NsZ6nc

and the fact that when we moved here this garden was full of pigeons image

My avatar picture is a lithograph by Picasso which is in the Tate (I'm a trained artist although I do very little painting now). http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/picasso-dove-p11366

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Awww - I like their simplicity image

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

fidget, do you keep the pots indoors or outdoors over winter?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

my dahlias are lifted and stored in the polytunnel. I leave the soil in place around them and just let them fend for themselves. I only pot them up once I see shoots coming from them.

Devon.
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Aha, OK, thanks.