London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
41 to 58 of 58 messages
14/09/2013 at 13:45

I have a Victoria plum, pear tree, quince, apple, gooseberry, Rhubarb & Toms,  etc & make crumbles, jams, chutneys, preserved pears etc (mix up pear and plum for jam or crumble) freeze or give away the rest.  Just eaten home made Tomato soup for lunch today. Tomato pizza tonight for tea!
 had a couple of stuffed marrows with tomato and mince stuffing lined up for Sunday lunch. Love roast or thinly sliced raw courgettes with a salad and grated Khol Rabi (loads this year, easy to grow)

its going to be boring come winter!!!

14/09/2013 at 15:13

"What do you call someone with jelly in one ear and custard in the other? A trifle deaf."

"A man was drowned eating his muesli the other day. He was pulled in by astrong currant..."

When do you know a snail is lying?

When he tells you he’s not at home!

14/09/2013 at 16:22

Diddy think you need to get your coat 

Gina can I come work for you please please please. You could pay me in produce!

14/09/2013 at 17:20

Come on Addidct the are getting better than the last one?

14/09/2013 at 17:22

When you say get your coat, does that mean i've pulled lol.

14/09/2013 at 19:24

Hahahahahahaha! Don't think so. They say it a lot on the Morning Forkers thread when they say a bad joke or make a silly comment. If it meant you've pulled then Verdun would be having a whale of a time lol.

Anyway damson cheese....pretty much the same as making jelly except you push the fruit through a sieve once cooked rather than in a jelly bag. That way it removes skin and pips but you still get the fruit bit and its not clear like jelly but the taste is so yoummy. Last year made damson, hedgerow, quince, medlar, crab apple and plum, either jam, cheese or jelly and damson was by far the best.   

15/09/2013 at 11:27

Ok but how do you mix it with the cheese?

15/09/2013 at 11:55

Lol 

15/09/2013 at 12:47

Tajke it you've never made any Diddy lol

Ok definition.....Jam = whole fruit good for things like strawberries, rapsberries etc.

Cheese = pulp of fruit. You do this by pushing cooked fruit through a sieve. Good way to do damsons, plums etc where you dont want big chunks of skin in the mix.            

Jelly = Through a jelly bag or piece of muslin. Gives you a tinted but clear jelly. Good for apples, crab apples, quince etc which as a jam can be a bit too thick and you would have to sort out pips, skin and such.

A lot can depend on your personal preference as well. I like to make a mixture of all 3. Makes for nice variation when given as presents.

16/09/2013 at 13:57

Can you show me a picture of how you push the fruit into the cheese.Gosh this is complicated lol.

16/09/2013 at 16:25

Slices of damson cheese plus cheddar, plus cracker = brilliant.

We don't have many damsons this year, or I'd be making it all into damson cheese.

We have just about enough for a damson and apple crumble.

16/09/2013 at 16:26

I did buy some quinces(last year) to make membrillo, but I decided that in future I would just buy a jar.

16/09/2013 at 19:15

Er i'm pulling my hair out here, How do you get the jam into the cheese

http://www.ronmartin.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mad-smiley.jpg

Your just winding me up arnt ya eh?

16/09/2013 at 20:09

CRAB APPLE AND WILD DAMSON CHEESE

Rinse and drain the crab apples. Chop them roughly and place in a pan. Add enough water to just cover the fruit, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes, till cooked through. Remove from the heat, leave to cool then push through a fine seive or food mill over a bowl to remove the skins, cores and pips and leave a smooth puree.

Rinse and drain the damsons, place in a pan and add just enough water to barely cover the fruit. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, till cooked through and the fruit has burst. Remove from the heat, leave to cool, then push through a sieve or process with a food mill to remove the skins and stones and leave a smooth damson puree.

I combined 800g (1.75lbs) damson puree with 400g (14oz) apple puree, so two thirds damsons to one third apple, but you can change the ratio to suit yourself and the quantities you have available. To every 600g (1.3lbs) fruit add 450g (1lb) sugar. Place the fruit and sugar in a pan and stir over a low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil then simmer, stirring from time to time to be sure it doesn’t catch and burn on the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until the mixture thickens considerably and when you pull the spoon across the centre it draws a line. This may take and hour or even longer to achieve and it is best to be patient and keep the heat really low under the pan. Pour the mixture into hot sterilised jars that are lightly oiled, cover with greaseproof waxed circles and seal. Leave till set and cold...... Slice and enjoy

17/09/2013 at 09:06

AAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but where is the cheese? stop winding me up.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/ylva51/smileys/th_scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif

17/09/2013 at 16:31

Diddy  There ain't no cheese.It refers to the consistency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20/09/2013 at 02:15

Diddy, stop being deliberately thick..  You've been told!  I think, like me, you may like 'normal' cheese, just a bit. But, come on, catch on!  Took me a while to twig that 'cheese' can be sweet, but we have lemon 'curd', don't we?  I thought 'curds' were something you got in the process of --- making cheese!  It's just terms, man, get with it! (she says, after only just coming to terms with the terms herself!!

And where do you get all these great big funny expressive emoticon thingy's?

27/09/2013 at 16:20

Gosh this is very confusing,how am i to know there is no cheese in damson,apple or plums cheese, im totally b......d now

Think i'll just have some cheese cake instead.

email image
41 to 58 of 58 messages