10 messages
25/06/2014 at 22:11
Hi i was thinking of colouful hedge plants 1 Buddleja davidii pink 1 Ceanothus Yankee Point 9 cm pot 1 Forsythia x intermedia Spectabilis 9 cm pot 1 Spiraea arguta 1 Weigela x florida Bristol Ruby Are these suitable for such a spot. Ps monty don is the monty don
26/06/2014 at 00:12

How big is the patch and what sort of soil cover do you have? Are you in the north or the south?

26/06/2014 at 06:53

And when you say 'hill' how high are we talking about and when you say 'cover from trees' what sort, how big and how close?  

Also is this a rural spot, coastal  or near a city?

26/06/2014 at 09:02
Hi Phillip

You probably feel like you are being interrogated, but it will mean we can give you a better quality answer.

Are you literally on the top of a hill or near the top? And is there anything already growing or is this a completely new garden ?
26/06/2014 at 14:59
Im in newport gwent south east wales. The settimg is a city but im a at top of the steepest road in the town. The cover is from a canyon of house on the right and a row of 30ft seycamor on the left. The problem is the bank faces north east and as the buildings act as a canyon the wind in the winter is fearce. Every year i weed the bank and plant something new which 50% dies. Ive a few alpine shrubs and som cordyina thriving. Ive planted a golden bamboo atop the hill which i fear may die this winter. I was thinking of colour so this is why i asked about the previous hedge shrubs. Do any of u think these shrubs will survive please? Thank you for your time
26/06/2014 at 15:07
Hello chrissieB! I dont feel interrogated friend. I was just working.i Always apprieciate all imput
26/06/2014 at 17:44

You probably need to plant young, small specimens so that they can establish well and are not so buffeted by the wind whilst getting their roots set down.

Re your list

Ceanothus like to be relatively sheltered so I wouldn't recommend it.

The others ideally like full sun so it depends on whether your height compensates for the NE aspect? if a bit too shaded that combined with the wind may mean they don't thrive. I think the Buddleja and spirea probably would be safer bets that the weigelia.

Some suggestions - these are all plants that cope with coastal or exposed positions so should tolerant wind and will be ok with the aspect

Ribes sanguineum Edward VII

Viburnum opulus 'Xanthocarpum' or V.tinu 'Eve Price'

Euonymus europaeus 'Red Cascade'

The hardy fucshias like magellanica or Riccartonii should also be ok, esp. if planted small say 1tr max so they can establish before too much buffeting.

26/06/2014 at 19:42

Cotoneaster, Hypericum, Kerria and Lonicera nitida are all tough as old boots and should thrive.

26/06/2014 at 21:43
Thank you very much crissieB x
26/06/2014 at 21:59
Cheers hogweed
email image
10 messages