Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What to prune now and when? Please read my message :) Thank you

My mum has a very large garden and I like to help out, however, I know a few shrubs to prune now like climbing roses and reduce buddelija to 1/3 but is there a link, page or somewhere that gives me a list of shrubs to prune now....that way I can go around her garden and do  everything correctly image

• The RHS home page does not give this info out unless you type in a specific shrub etc 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Paul -  I think the magazine does  a pruning item at various times but not 100% sure. If you use the search  facility at the top of the page and type in something like 'shrubs to prune in autumn' that might point you in the  right direction.  Alternatively, if you know what shrubs are in the garden, you could list them here and you'll get help and advice from forum members  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

...and if you don't know the names, just post a clear photo of the plant and someone here will tell you what it isimage

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Paul heres a start theres lots more info on the net

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/prime-time-pruning 

• Ok thanks I will do that. Thanks for the link Alan 

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

There are very few shrubs that need hard pruned - except roses, buddleia and lavatera. Most shrubs just need pruned lightly after flowering to nip off the old flowers or pruned to keep them in check. If you bear that in mind when you are going round the garden you won't go far wrong. Climbers of course are a different story - you really need to know what you are pruning in order to prune correctly.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller