London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
10 messages
15/06/2014 at 16:51

I love this time of year as its the start of the summer season of veg straight from the garden.

For lunch we had lettuce, beetroot and cucumber in our salad and for dinner we will have calabrese, mange tout and carrots.

For afters we have raspberries and strawberries.

What has everyone been picking so far?

15/06/2014 at 17:09

Well, on Friday, I accidentally put up on Facebook that I was going to make Thai Green Curry with home grown basil, coriander and chillies, and then strawberries from the patch for afters.  And before I knew it, two friends were coming for dinner!  I did look at my autumn sown garlic, but the tops haven't gone over yet, and I can't see any bulbs, so couldn't use that.  Wondered about growing ginger and limes and lemongrass - then I could do the whole thing (except for the coconut milk and the chicken).  I also noticed a tayberry is ready for picking, and we have had a couple of cucumbers, lettuce leaves, rocket and watercress.  Might investigate the potatoes this afternoon - they have been in flower for a couple of weeks, maybe three weeks.  And the peas - some have been ready, but not enough for proper meal.  It is truly a wonderful time of year Scroggin - the start of the garden 'giving back' - can't wait for the tomatoes to turn red!!

15/06/2014 at 17:24

I picked 5 pounds of broad beans this morning, but after podding  they only make a pound.

I also picked a small bowl of raspberries, of which OH ate the first four.

15/06/2014 at 17:37

I've been cropping strawberries this week and next and the week after. There are just so many of them and they have to get eaten because I'm ripping out my strawberry patch afterwards, to redesign my veg plot.

KEF
15/06/2014 at 18:20

Radishes, rocket, spinach, shallots grown as spring onions, and 3 strawberries,

From neighbour 4 lunch box cucumbers from a grated plant.

15/06/2014 at 18:30

Radish, about 4 strawberries, pineberries, spuds, gooseberries, rubarb and swede although this is still quite small. Could probably start to pick onions and shallots but I wanted to leave them longer this year to get to a good size.   

KEF
15/06/2014 at 18:33

Zoomer, you reminded me I have spuds

15/06/2014 at 18:53

Getting slightly off the subject, can anyone tell me how to grow basil successfully.

Thanks

15/06/2014 at 19:32

Basil - 2 types, outdoor, indoor.  No matter how lovely the weather outside (eg last year), the normal basil seeds don't seem to do well for me outside.  Am going to try the outdoor, but forgot I had it till you reminded me.  The indoor, does well on a windowsill - I plant it as early as March, then prick out into a long plastic windowbox thing, which is quite deep (6 inches maybe??) am careful with the watering as no drainage.  Then I get a few stringy plants, I harvest the growing tips, then by late April, into the greenhouse it goes, and I harvest the growing tips again - never let it go to flower, then all the side shoots make it more and more bushy.  At harvest points, if I don't need it, I whizz it in the liquidiser with a bit of water (or you could use olive oil) then freeze in ice cube trays and pop out into a plastic bag which I keep in the freezer, and add to thai curries and Italian dishes.  I have to say that I LOVE having fresh basil to hand.   For me it is king of the herbs - along with coriander, which is queen!!

15/06/2014 at 20:06

Lettuces, chinese cabbage, basil, rocket, chives, (very small) potatoes, red currants and today garlic with lovely cloves. My first garlic and I'm tickled pink!

email image
10 messages