Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's happened to my Marguerite?

Ok, this is the plant a couple of weeks ago:

And here it is yesterday:

I had to chop loads off last night, stems and leaves are all brown and dead-looking.  My initial thought was it had just reached the end of its' lifespan, but surely it's a little early for that?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful image

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,270

It 's just grown up and got a bit tired and wrinkly as we all do. Give it some all purpose feed, if you haven't done so already. It will keep flowering, but the brown leaves are just age.

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

Be brave and cut it back, feed and water it well and you will have a lovely plant with a couple or so weeks. After the heat we have had over the last few weeks it has just re-acted to that. Should flower for the rest of the summer, in fact well into Autumn. If you can keep it frost free you can over winter them and start them off again in spring.  Very easy to take cuttings from as well.

• ok thanks for the advice, off to do that now image

• Well I cut back to the stems, there seems to be new shoots coming off them lower down so I fed it afterwards, keep your fingers crossed!  I will be sad if I lose it, I always grow one every year and they give me so much pleasure...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have a marguerite I was given nearly 25 years ago.  well not that one actually , but a cutting off a cutting etc. I dig one up and overwinter in the greenhouse, cut it down hard and feed it. I then take lots of 2 inch long cuttings.  I give lots away. Some I put in pots. This year I have made a hedge with them. Photo to follow.  Its a very simple one with white daisy flowers and a fine  cut bluish leaf. I was told it was called Paris Daisy.

• looking forward to that pic

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Paris daisy. All grown from cuttings taken off same plant in March.