London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 61 messages
10/08/2014 at 13:25

Well it's sunday 2-15pm and it's pouring down,

I can honestly say its the worst summer we've had in 9 years,

Whats going on with the weather?

We do have fruit on the orchard fruit trees but not as much or as advanced as normal,

Im not to worried about the fruit tree's as we have plenty of bottled fruit from some three years ago up until last years bottling,

This is the good thing about gardening you can save your fruit for next to nothing and eat it years later.

I do feel for those back in the uk who are having storms rain and even floods.

Spare a thought for the gardeners who are unable to garden thanks to this weather.

10/08/2014 at 13:41

Where are you Smoking Donkey?  I thought we were having an ok summer here in NW England, most things seem to be growing, although I don't have as many plums as last year and I lost all my pears (but that's another story and my fault!)

10/08/2014 at 13:43

Smokin Donkey is in France.

I'd be very happy indeed if we had a few more summers like this one has been so far.  One of the best gardening summers I've known in a long while. 

10/08/2014 at 13:58

Just shows how changes in the path of the jet stream can affect things.  Great summer here but too dry even though just 30 miles away from my location they have had plenty of rain.  It was a warmer than normal winter then a very warm period followed by a cooler than normal start to the summer so many things got off to a flying start but then had their growth checked.  After that the sun went into overdrive but the rain stopped arriving, so it's been quite challenging.  All said and done, I've had excellent crops but some things are a bit behind (eg toms, beans.)

10/08/2014 at 15:22

Hi to one and all who've replied,

"Orchid Lady"

, Im in the crues dept 23 here in france about 200miles from Paris heading towards spain,

Sort of the middle of france.

We as the norm have great summers even uo towards the end of october,

But this summer for some reason isn't that good,

Lots of rain and not much sun, dont get me wrong it's warm with millions of those midges biting away at any signs of fresh skin they can get at.

Ive a few plum type family large tree's and the plums have done well, (just ask any of our four dogs they all eat them and then after a few hours they "BLOW OFF" for france

The pears again no complaints, but the things that as the norm do great ie russian (black) tomatoes no good at all, peas again no good even the weeds dont look as good as in the past.

But thats mother nature for you, After all we're really just caretakers when it comes to the garden and if we dont look after it mother nature steps in and takes it back.

10/08/2014 at 16:37

Sunny here Smokin 

Hot here Smokin 

Think I'll sunbathe Smokin 

10/08/2014 at 16:57

Some people just like showing off Verdun 

10/08/2014 at 17:00

Wall to wall blue skies here 

Just picked a lovely ripe fig 

10/08/2014 at 17:38

Hee hee hee 

10/08/2014 at 17:56

The forecast was spot on for SW Wales: the heavy rain came through o/n Sat/Sun & mostly today you need TWO pegs in your hat anywhere exposed to the near-gale NW wind + gorgeous wall-to-wall blue skies! Toasty inside the greenhouses!! circa 18C outside air temp. Enjoy whatever comes your way!!

10/08/2014 at 19:26

Here in the NE it has rained steadily all day. It's been a mixed sort of a summer but can't have been too bad as all my veg have done well and the flowers look lovely even though I do say it myself.

10/08/2014 at 19:35

Totally freezing here outside Dublin, tons of rain and a big wood fire blazing.

10/08/2014 at 21:45

It's strange you saying "Hester scott ref a blazing fire today,

Ive just checked my summer list of next must do this month and cleaning the wood burner flu is this weeks job ready in plenty of time for the winter.

(Can't beat a good gardening book a nice cuppa and the fire blazing away and Roxsanne snoring away by my feet "perfect peace")

10/08/2014 at 21:56

Sounds bliss smokin  I have had lovely summer but now rain is here I'm looking forward to putting cleaning the chimneys on oh job list! 

10/08/2014 at 21:58

Been a very mixed summer here in Tipperary. Started off great with a bumper crop of strawberries and rhubarb before that. The veg did great so far, garlic picked and the onions are coming on nicely. But it has been cool of late and this has lead to blight  in the spuds dispite spraying on a weekly basis.

Hopefully the rain showers of late will pass and a late autumn flurish will ripen the few apples and raspberries

10/08/2014 at 23:02

Here in Herefordshire today, strong winds and steady rain, then sunny, blue sky and a sunset!  Pottered about picked huge, juicey raspberries, took photos

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55976.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

greengages ripening but nothing on the espalier apple,

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55977.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

this gladdened the eye   feel very priviledged just to be

10/08/2014 at 23:04

Lyn
10/08/2014 at 23:20

Its been quite wet here in West Devon, I havent once had to save the bath water for plants. Last year we did it several nights. I have only put the hose on the borders once, although the top soil was dry, it was fairly damp underneath.

Its been a good growing season, becsuse of the rain, loads of broad beans, runners and toms, but I do have to grow the tomatoes in the green house.

I love that yellow water lily, we are just letting the rain fill our newly dug pond, and I have one of those to go in. I hope I have alovely flower like that next year.

10/08/2014 at 23:53

Lovely pics Bizzie as ever  The lily is beautiful 

Look forward to seeing your pond lyn when it fills up 

11/08/2014 at 06:41

Lyn  thank you, planted a year ago the first flower on this water lily.  Have three, one still to flower, the other buds but flops on the surface, wondering if its not in deep enough. All covering the surface nicely, attracting the wildlife.

The soil here is clay based so worked a lot of good stuff in over the years. Watered new plants and those in pots from the water butt and had those heavy showers at the right time. Same here with dry top soil, damp underneath.

There is the river close behind these houses and although it is running low I'm told that the water table is high.

1 to 20 of 61 messages