London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 12°C
61 to 80 of 133 messages
12/09/2013 at 22:20

well I knew it had lots of potassium and nitrogen in it and then little bits of a lot of other things...just needed to refresh my memory 

12/09/2013 at 22:25

Is this better Addict.Change is good you know.

12/09/2013 at 22:29

As my OH always seems to be in the bathroom when I need it, my compost heap has a very useful second function!   Some folk are a bit put off by the thought of using compost that has been thus watered so I tend not to mention it to non-gardeners (even though urine is sterile at the point of exit..)

12/09/2013 at 22:30

whats the problem with this MM geezer Addict?

Hello to you also paula and also stacey,sorry i have missed you all tonight,duty calls.

12/09/2013 at 22:50

Diddy, only put the listerine due to your toothpaste comment!  May try it against the midgies, tho' although I find Avon skin so soft works well.  On the pee thing, I get my boys to pee in a bucket if the bathroom is busy, then add to the compost. It does seem tohelp with decomposition. And being 6 & 11, they love the idea of 'watering' the heap when playing out. (lazy, too far to walk into bathroom!)

Just got a source of well-rotted horse manure today, from a new dog grooming client, and just round the corner, too.  Can't comment on 'green' manures, going to try for first time this yr.  The science seems sound.  Prob great if you can't get enough manure, compost or leaf mould. But I can't see why you couldn't use all sources of organic matter together.  Anything to feed the soil, and the green manures will be actively making channels in the soil to give room for all the little, good biddies to pull down anything else into.

12/09/2013 at 23:06

Like the crown Diddy.

I know no more than you about MM. Just that he posted a very strange pic on a thread Verdun had posted on. Then the comment on here and I thought who is this whacko so checked his profile for his posts. Now I am ignoring him.

GJ I use as many as I can get my hands on. Impoverished soil gets stuff chucked on it all the time but once the soil is nice and workable I cut down a bit and maybe mulch once a year. I do work mainly on beds and borders though. Vege plots are a whole different ball game and do require a lot more tlc. 

12/09/2013 at 23:11

Hi, Addict.  I guess we can't overdose then, especially for well used raised veg beds then?  I tend to feel that if the level has gone down, the good stuff's been used, so add more! On a rotation basis, of course.

12/09/2013 at 23:22

mm used to be about quite often with odd posts. Probably stirred up by a PM from Erica Ward yesterday on the junior GW thread. I got one too.

12/09/2013 at 23:37

No I don't think you can. The only thing than can happen is the soil gets a little too acidic from the manure especially for brassicas. Then you just add lime or add mushroom compost which is more alkaline rather than manure where you intend to grow them..  

12/09/2013 at 23:43

Thought so.  Wish I could get hold of mushroom compost, hate having to use lime on mt acidic soil. 

13/09/2013 at 09:24

so does this mean addict that you have to be constantly monitoring your soil by taking samples each week?and with your compost bins,you need one for the flower beds and one for the veg patch?

Glad you like mi new crown,i picked it up from a secondhand shop.

13/09/2013 at 09:40

does anyone else hate tea bags and egg shell that are destined for the compost heap.

I detest them.

13/09/2013 at 10:23

The only problem I have with tea bags on the compost heap is that I drink Morrisons green tea with mint (tried Twinings and another company's and decided Morrisons got the blend right). The used tea bags smell of mint. This brings cats to the compost heap and they play with the tea bags, scattering them around the lilies and the lawn.

Yes, lilies. Stupid cats.

So ... green manure here, brown manure there, chicken manure for these plants, horse manure for those plants, rotted coffee grounds here, rotted seaweed there ... All this s**t and rot being so useful in the garden and we still haven't found a use for the stuff that dribbles out of parliament?

13/09/2013 at 10:51

We keep two horses and so I have a good steady supply of 'end product' however I find that to make the best use of it then it should be well composted so I mix it in the bins with green waste and I shred all my waste paper and add that too. The only minor problem I have is that bedding straw takes a while to break down.

I am told that I could add the fresh 'end product' to water in a barrell/bucket etc. to make a readily usable liquid feed? I do not know what quantities to use when doing this. Can anyone help?

13/09/2013 at 11:20

Hi Bob Harper, perhaps you can help me. I am currently digging a new flower bed and the soil is very hard compacted clay . I have access to a horse manure heap but I have used most of the really rotted black stuff and am left with the straw/manure mix.

Do you think putting that on would help break up the consistancy of the soil or is it too fresh (its about 3 months old) I could pick up dung from the field as an option. ?

13/09/2013 at 11:50

Hi ginagibbs, I set up my kitchen garden about 3 years ago and began, like you, with our old heap. Once used up I composted the manure in 4 bins which I rotate so the compost I use would be about 6 months old (or 9 months if it was Winter).

If you are not going to plant up your flower bed till next Spring however, I would use the manure straight from the field and let the worms take it down into your soil over winter.

My Wife handles the shrub borders and uses recent manure on shrubs, against my better judgement but always seems to succeed and prove me wrong. 

13/09/2013 at 11:57

Thanks Bob, I am planning to plant a few shrubs for now to get them established, so I will give it a go!

13/09/2013 at 12:54

would it not be better if the strawry stuff was double trench dug into the ground?Also i tried using the refuge bins hat we have as i had a spare one given to me by one of my mates who works there.However i found id difficult in the way that it is difficult to rotate it.So this winter i will construct the pallet method and put it into the woods at the bottom of my garden so it will be out of site.This will help with a bit of privacy for when you wish to pee on it.

Is  that ok Addict.

13/09/2013 at 13:18

Bob H. That is a bit extravagant To have two horses to produce your own muck.that is more exspensive than to but fertiliser off the shelf.Take some feeding horses.

13/09/2013 at 13:39

gardenjeannie, you could use calcified seaweed aka Maerl (french name) to raise the pH of you soil. It adds lots of micronutrients at the same time. I always use it on my cabbage patch.  Its not to be confused with seaweed meal, which is dried seaweed ground up. Calcified seaweed looks like quite coarse bits of lime, but it takes longer to break down. I use to use Seagold calcified seaweed , which was dredged up off Falmouth, but The EEC stopped them and now the only source is french. (OK to dredge up the Brittany Maerl beds)

61 to 80 of 133 messages