London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
81 to 100 of 133 messages
13/09/2013 at 13:46

Also, this year I  gave the entire veg patch a good dressing of Sear Rock dust. (ordered by the tonne works out cheapest). I know its been a good year, but I have to say that in the 25 years I have been working this garden, this years veg have been the best ever.  The sweet peas that I grow in the veg patch have also been magnificent. I have been giving away sweet peas and veg to friends, relatives, workmates, and neighbours. I intend using it again. Its not a fertiliser as such, it just puts back all the micronutrients that get washed out of the soil over the years. I've started to put a sprinkle every six inches or so in the big compost heap used for maturing. The worms work it in, so when I use it for top dressing, the benefit gets spread around the garden.

13/09/2013 at 14:22

I will have to try some of that FB , not so sure about the quantity that you have to order though.

13/09/2013 at 14:43

Thanks Diddydoit4u,  Perhaps you could explain that to my Wife - I tried many years ago but I have not got the guts these days. At least we are down to just 2.

I made my 4 compost bins out of old palletts so I have room to recycle the horses production.

13/09/2013 at 15:35

Thats what i am going to do in the woods at the bottom of my garden, the good thing about that is, thatthey will be close to when the oak start to drop thier leaves.

13/09/2013 at 16:12

Rock dust Diddy add it to your green compost

James

13/09/2013 at 16:19
Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

so does this mean addict that you have to be constantly monitoring your soil by taking samples each week?and with your compost bins,you need one for the flower beds and one for the veg patch?

Glad you like mi new crown,i picked it up from a secondhand shop.

Charlie November wrote (see)

.So ... green manure here, brown manure there, chicken manure for these plants, horse manure for those plants, rotted coffee grounds here, rotted seaweed there ... All this s**t and rot being so useful in the garden and we still haven't found a use for the stuff that dribbles out of parliament?

Diddy, no,just use any you can get wherever you need it.

Charlie, wouldn't dare use that stuff. So poisonous it would maybe make a good weedkiller though

13/09/2013 at 16:30

Diddy, I put it at bottom of my newest bed then topped up with compost that wasn't ready yet, then topsoil, grew an amazing amount of peas and beans this yr, so I imagine the trench method would work well.

FB, Thanks for that, will give those a try.  I use Maxicrop seaweed liquid a lot with good results, on my container and young plants, but too expensive for the beds.

13/09/2013 at 16:34

Thank you GJ couldn't have put it better myself 

13/09/2013 at 16:54

Addict, I presume you mean the parliament 'end product'!  Can't call it b******t as that would confuse those who want to put good stuff on their gardens!

13/09/2013 at 17:04

Both comments lol

13/09/2013 at 18:34

Hi Addict have you been busy and did the rain keep off for you?

13/09/2013 at 19:33

Diddy, you can get Sear rock dust sold as Verve rock dust in B and Q. As recommended dosage is 1kg up to 5kg per sq metre, it depends on how much space you have got. You could have a sack and trial it, I decided that with the space I have, I know its nutrient low, I would go all in. The entire veg plot has been dressed. Next year the rest of the garden will get it.

13/09/2013 at 19:44

It makes me feel glad that i only have a couple of borders and the rest hard landscaped now.

14/09/2013 at 15:05

I've just seen a great special offer on bags of Irish Horse Manure ...

"Buy 2 Get a Turd Free"

14/09/2013 at 15:10

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the TV was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom and gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins' birthday their father loaded the pessimist's room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist's room he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist's room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

"Why are you crying?" the father asked.

"Because my friends will be jealous, I'll have to read all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I'll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken." answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin's room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. "What are you so happy about?" he asked.

To which his optimist twin replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

14/09/2013 at 17:10

LOL Diddy. Just cos it has the word manure in doesn't mean you should post it on this thread! Now you really need to get your coat and come back when you are sorry 

14/09/2013 at 17:18

Sorry i got bored as no one was on here today,I promise to be good in the future,Am i forgiven.

14/09/2013 at 19:28

Yeah forgiven

Still waiting for someone to come on here and tell us all about making liquid feed from nettles, comfrey etc.

14/09/2013 at 19:44
addict wrote (see)

Yeah forgiven

Still waiting for someone to come on here and tell us all about making liquid feed from nettles, comfrey etc.

I made Comfrey feed last year. I just filled a bucket up with comfrey leaves, rammed them down tight and filled it almost full of water. I kept it in the greenhouse (mistake! - Smells) and gave it a stir each time I passed by. After three weeks I removed the soggy grot to the compost heap and filled half a dozen milk bottles with the smelly brown liquid.

I don't know how good it was as I alternated the diluted (at about 10 to 1) feed with Suttons Tomato feed and Tomorite. I got a good crop so it may well have helped.

I keep an eye on the comfrey to stop it spreading and I will certainly continue making it but outside in the open air.

15/09/2013 at 11:21

Addict it is ever so easy i use it all of the time.Withe the cumphrey I have a plnt that is the non invasive typ and as it produces new leaves i just keep taking them of and putting them in a large bucket then just fill it up with water and leave it for a couple of eeks to ferment then it should be ready to use.And like wise with the nettles.

The ratio is 10- to - 1,I have a 10 litre watering can whig is marked and i can see clearly how much is inside it.

The nettles use on the brassicas and cumphrey on you fruiting plants and flowers.I use nothing else now.

Hope this helps you Addict.

81 to 100 of 133 messages