London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
101 to 120 of 133 messages
15/09/2013 at 11:26

If you are buying in comfrey plants, Get Bocking 14 type. it doesn't flower so doesn't spread about as much. You can get it from the  Organic Gardening catalogue.

15/09/2013 at 19:45

I do find that you could just use the ordinary cumphrey but keep it in a container.

15/09/2013 at 19:50

If you let it flower, it will still spread even if it is a container. The seeds go everywhere.

I cut mine from a watermeadow near the trent. It gets flooded each winter, and then grows like billyo.

15/09/2013 at 19:55

mine's making a bid for world domination. If I cut it and put it on the compost before it seeded rather than after perhaps? But never get round to it

15/09/2013 at 20:01

I've had one pop up in the new flower bed. Out, pot, out.

15/09/2013 at 20:34

Sorry FB your right,however i was told that you could just cut the flowering head of and throw that in the bucket also before it flowers fully and seeds.

15/09/2013 at 20:36

You can, but when you go on holiday, it will flower and seed while you are away.

15/09/2013 at 20:50

Fair comment FB. I'm glad i have the non flowering type.But at the end of the day it is highly recommended by Monty D.

15/09/2013 at 21:04

So is the nettle feed i forgot to mention,Great stuff but stinks to high even,but well worth it.

15/09/2013 at 21:10

Thats why I have it at the top of the garden. A lot closer to the neighbours than me.

15/09/2013 at 21:20

That gives me an idea for emma to get revenge on her heighbour.

16/09/2013 at 20:12

This may sound stupid but has anyone ever tried slurry? I dont mean to eat,i mean on your veg patch.

20/09/2013 at 20:38

Thanks everyone for the liquid feed advice.  Diddy, i have tagree with Addict.  Ha Ha, but get your coat!  Love irish horse muck one! Going to 'Jokes' now to see if anything new!

20/09/2013 at 21:58

just started a new thread for jokes as recomended

21/09/2013 at 02:43

A new thread, Diddy, What's wrong with the existing one?  Apart from all the bad ones, that is. Off to see it now!

22/09/2013 at 01:05

Just read through the threads probably missed a few though.

James seaweed feed is easy to make and the salt on it doesn't need to be washed off as there is so little on it. I've been making it for a few years now, toms and spuds love it. You can also use it as a spray, diluted down, to keep slugs and snails of flowering plants but you need to spray before slugs and snails start to appear in the spring.

I make it in an old plastic bin with the lid on and put the seaweed in pastic bags with holes punched in them, submerged in water, it's then bottled up in milk cartons and saved before diluting down in a watering can, when needed.

It smells in the bin but isn't to bad when used, just smells like the seaside after a high tide for a couple of hours. Dried, it doesn't smell at all and is a good mulch round potted plants.

I'm happy to be wrong but in most area's you can't pick seaweed fresh but can take seaweed which has been washed up on the beach, after a high tide is best. You'd need to check any by-laws and restrictions for the beach before collecting.

22/09/2013 at 02:04

Sorry, Diddy, just saw this again when looking for something esle on the thread.

Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

Can i also clarify that i want to know which is best poo! or mizuna for instance?

Personally, I think mizuna tastes better! Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get me 'at!

22/09/2013 at 02:09

Zoomer, thanks for the info on seaweed, we're not far from beach so will give it a try. Am besieged by slugs n snails and had never heard that it was good against them. Anything is worth a try.

I would imagine that same rules applt as to picking/digging up live wild flowers/plants, and that it should not be done.

22/09/2013 at 23:16

gj, it's not a fool proof way of keeping slugs and snails at bay and doesn't kill them but after watching a programme a few years ago where a guy was growing, if I recall, hosta's and started spraying in March and had the most amazing plants with not a nibble taken out of them, I spray early.  

If you decide to make seaweed feed, it's usually good to bottle up after about 6 wks and the stuff in the bags can be spread on you beds. I put it on the bed in the GH and had a really good crop of toms this year. I dilute down to half a litre milk carton measure to a full watering can but using a full milk carton occasionally doesn't seem to do any harm if you miss a feed. I feed weekly.

I used to dive near St Abbs in my youth, not sure if that's near you but the kelp grows to several feet high and seals use it to hide in. Don't want to preach but don't pick fresh seaweed the stuff washed up is just as good for the garden.

22/09/2013 at 23:26

gj, it's not a fool proof way of keeping slugs and snails at bay and doesn't kill them but after watching a programme a few years ago where a guy was growing, if I recall, hosta's and started spraying in March and had the most amazing plants with not a nibble taken out of the leaves, I spray early.  

If you decide to make seaweed feed, it's usually good to bottle up after about 6 wks and the stuff in the bags can be spread on you beds. I put it on the bed in the GH and had a really good crop of toms this year. I dilute down to half a litre milk carton measure to a full watering can but using a full milk carton occasionally doesn't seem to do any harm if you miss a feed. I feed weekly.

I used to dive near St Abbs in my youth, not sure if that's near you but kelp grows to several feet high and seals use it to hide in. Don't want to preach but don't pick fresh seaweed the stuff washed up is good enough for the garden.

101 to 120 of 133 messages