London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 40 of 47 messages
18/09/2013 at 16:25

That sounds absolutely wonderful Marion.  Have you ever grown Rogersias?  

Hope we see the pictures next year.

18/09/2013 at 17:15

not bad verdun

http://www.finegardening.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Images/Gardening/Plants/rodgersiaaesculifolia_jwb_2_sq.jpg

18/09/2013 at 17:32
Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

You now how proper i am paula!!!!!   

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31233.jpg?width=350

Don't I just....

18/09/2013 at 17:56

Mostly more of the same, having settled on a layout and planting scheme over the years. My garden has evolved over 14 years and I am conscious that it is relatively maintenance heavy. So, I ought to be simplifying it and reducing the work involved. In practice I do the opposite, and one idea I have is to dig out a new bed for the large number of agapanthuses ( should that be agapanthi?) I have bought/collected over the years and which are now in pots. Needs a sunny spot. May add some orange crocosmia as well.

18/09/2013 at 18:54

Maybe some kniphofias too woody?

18/09/2013 at 19:00

Good idea, should flower simultaneously and good colour combination too.

19/09/2013 at 09:53

Verdun, the Rodgersias at the Bristol Botanic Garden grow in the bog garden round the lake.  tn all the National Trust gardens where I have seen them growing they are by the side of a stream as at the Abbotsbury Subtropical.  I think the plural of agapanthus is agapanthus.  at least i have never heard anything else at the Botanic garden where they have a lovely collection.  The tall dark blue one looks lovely with kniphofia next to it and strelitzias in pots behind it.  I will see if i can find a picture.   This is 2009 when the kniphofias had  dark blue salvias behind,  Tyr to imgine it with dark blue agapanthus instead as I

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31276.jpg?width=350

cannot locate the up to date picture GRRRRR.

19/09/2013 at 10:06

I have not done my decking this year does anyone have any recomendations on what to use,i thought of using oil based combined with old engine oil?

19/09/2013 at 14:03

that's sounds a bit flammable, Diddy?! maybe not if your decking is next to your fire-pit....

Next year, if it fails to flower AGAIN the Viburnum Bodnantese that was here when I moved in nearly 14 years ago is definitely going on the bonfire. I have given it a final warning

19/09/2013 at 14:41

I've got a Hibiscus that is heading for the bin if it doesn't put a bit of growth on GinglyGangly, sick of looking at it.....

Diddydoit4u wrote (see)

I have not done my decking this year does anyone have any recomendations on what to use,i thought of using oil based combined with old engine oil?

Could be an interesting evening sat around the fire pit with the decking smoking...

19/09/2013 at 15:24

the fire pit is on the concrete circle if you look at the pics.

19/09/2013 at 15:25

Oops sorry 

19/09/2013 at 15:34

oh yes pardon me too! Whereever it is, I think engine oil sounds a bit dangerous! are you looking to "feed" the wood? I'm sure there must be products specifically for this. I've used teak oil on my wooden tool handles - can be used on garden furniture too. Not sure about decking. It made me a bit nervous just using it on a few trowels as it smells like petrol and I am sure is just as likely to catch fire. Soaks in very quickly though. You could try almond oil. You can buy it in Asian supermarkets - it's used for cooking and is also in certain brands of posh wood polish.

19/09/2013 at 15:50

Thanks Marion, how can I not do my new agapanthus bed now that you have shown me such a lovley picture. Sorry for my alck of latin education.

20/09/2013 at 14:37

Botanical Latin is not at all like classical Latin which i enjoyed learning for six years at secondary school simply because the stories were all abiut the Romans whose historical link with our country had fascinated me at primary school.  Knowing the roots of the botanical names from my school Latin does help to understand the plant. I am not likely to cut down a plant in autumn without gloves if it has lacca (milk) in its name as the sap is usually irritant.

20/09/2013 at 15:04

An agapanthus by any other name is just as sweet?

01/10/2013 at 12:06

What sort of bulbs are you all planting for spring?

13/10/2013 at 14:51

does any one have any suggestions of types of agapanthus there are/.

please send i photo of them for me.

13/10/2013 at 17:27

I think they are best en masse, rather than individual varieties,... I never bother much with names and lables. Have you ever been to Christopher LLoyds wonderful garden at Great Dixter... nothing labelled, and there is a sign explaining the 10 reasons why there are none. Very amusing, and wise. Of course he knew them all by heart anyway, something I could never do.

15/01/2014 at 19:22

To see my plans for 2014 go to 2014 on the Forum.

21 to 40 of 47 messages