London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
41 to 47 of 47 messages
15/01/2014 at 21:37

I'm still relatively new to gardening so this year I'll be trying to get to grips with the things that are already growing and sowing a million seeds which I will have to find room for. I'll be expanding all the borders over the year. I'm going to try growing some of my own veg this year too - potatoes, carrots, onions, strawberries and pumpkins. We have a pear tree which will hopefully fruit this year too.

16/01/2014 at 16:07

Good luck THG. You will love it, but don't be too upset if you get a few failures. No season or year is perfect for everything and the conditions which help one plant may be the very things that hinder another.

Only by having a go will you learn what's best for you. We've all been there. My T-Shirt is full of holes already.

16/01/2014 at 16:53

This year I am going to read and learn more about gardening.

I hope to grow more native wildflowers and have been collecting my seeds over the past 6 months or so and have prepared an area of my garden to sow and just leave alone (apart from weeding).

We have a sloping garden and it has taken 3 years to figure out how to deal with slopes as we inherited some lovely but rather large mature trees when we bought the house and I refuse to remove them because of the wildlife and birds I get in the garden, the shady, rooty area beneath has always been a bit of headache though.

Just looking forward to the year ahead and enjoying the garden most of all..

16/01/2014 at 17:15

Ferns, fritillaries, pulmonarias, all look great at foot of trees, shrubs. Erythroniums too.

snowdrops in spring?

16/01/2014 at 17:18

garden plans for the year:

Make a stumpery with a mini wild life pond

Finish planting up white garden - it's finding suitable plants at right price causes delays.

plant up perennial border again (made a hash of it last year so will start again)

May not complete this but will 'do' something in an area that needs some interest added to it. Maybe put up a rustic trellis division or something - needs lot more thought

16/01/2014 at 17:19

Thanks Woodgreen Wonderboy, I'm off to google now. 

I under planted snowdrops , snakeshead fritillaries and crocus last year so hopefully they will peep through soon unless the pesky squirrel has munched them 

16/01/2014 at 17:21

Go for leaf interest,rather than gaudy flowers. lamiums, heucheras, dicentra??

email image
41 to 47 of 47 messages