Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When do potatoes flower?

I have grown Charlotte potatoes for the first time in the ground. They have been earthed up 3 times and still they grow. I am not sure when to stop earthing- up to allow the potatoes to flower. I know someone out there knows the answer or has some guidance!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    They will flower when they are ready. Not all potatoes flower. Maybe you misunderstand why you are earthing up. It is not to stop the plant flowering.

It is to make sure the developing potatoes are covered up and to warm up the soil, because the sun shines on the sloping sides.

When you think they might be ready, dig gently around in the soil with your hand and see if you find potatoes of usable size. You can gently pick those off the roots and cover up the rest to go on growing.
  • Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Ah. Ok.  I grew them in bags last year and they flowered eventually but the crop was poor. I hoped that in the ground they would be better. I did not know that some potatoes do not flower!  Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I stop earthing up after the last frost.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.