Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When We Were Young

Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

There is a thread called "So..." which started off about grammar and language, but now it's getting onto childhood memories. It's rather fun. But as the title doesn't mention that no one will know unless they are already posting on that thread.

Do you have any memories about your childhood that you would like to share? Doesn't have to be about gardening, but can be if you want. Can be about school, uniform, school dinners, what you did in the holidays, clothes etc.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

• Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

My big memory from school was some of the mad teachers in particular an english teacher who introduced me to Lord of the rings and a music teacher who introduced me to War of the worlds amongst other things.

• Stevo4Stevo4 Posts: 109

(1960's) Every Whitsunday great-aunt Edna would hand knit a new cardigan for myself and my two brothers.

At school, my class teacher, Mrs Scott, could put a whole digestive in her mouth. It was mesmerising.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

She must have had a huge mouth! image

• Stevo4Stevo4 Posts: 109

Lizzy, it was amazing to watch. In those days a digestive was a lot bigger too

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

It was wagon wheels for us it was our sports teachers party trick image

Scroggin do you remember when they were mucking about with British summertime/GMT all the school children were issued with dayglo orange elastic armbands?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I had to walk to school in those days every one did and it was a long walk,had to cross a busy road. Had to have school dinners because of that but I liked them. Had Swede for the first time even though I had a lot of veg at at home but never had Swede. Never liked PE and we had drama, never liked wearing those leotards and I didn't like the boysimage
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Did anyone like school dinners? Hated Spam and corned beef, beetroot with spiky bristles in it and lumpy mashed potato without butter. Quite liked tinned peaches. Hated tapioca and sago. The was a jam tart called "battlefields" with dessicated coconut on it.

When I went to nursing school I thought the food was great and there was a choice.

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162

The thing I remember most when I was young was when we stayed in a flat in Glasgow, behind it was fields and we played for hours and hours there guddling in the burn for tiny fish and tadpoles. When we were hungry we use to pick green leaves from the field which we called soories because they tasted sour. Havent a clue what they were but they tasted great. Then you didn't have any money for sweets .If you were lucky your mum would give you a sandwich on jam . These times were when I was really happy. image