London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 62 messages
17/07/2014 at 22:26

I just like it when we're all friends  Life's too short for s*** 

17/07/2014 at 22:33

We are friends Orchid.  Can you lend me £ 20 please? 

17/07/2014 at 22:34

Of course Verdun, you can give it me back next month with interest....just call it £40 

17/07/2014 at 22:39

Its fine Philippa, just sounded a bit harsh at first. As you say, don't always agree with all he says.

All forgotten, I agree OL, lifes too short.

17/07/2014 at 22:47

Mikes just posted a new thread Pauline

17/07/2014 at 23:05
Now then Children. No sweeties if you argue.

Oh Pauline, if only we had Virtual posting or whatever. Thank you so much. Truly, I never realized I had a fan club. [Notes for book. Ch. 7. How freindships are made]. Verdun, thanks for sticking up for me, my friend. This is the second time that you have mentioned, that you don't always agree with me. Likewise, Philippa seems to share that point. Both of you and everyone else. Please come out with it. This is an area where we really can learn. There is, well in my book anyway. No problem with a difference of opinion. However let's not become abusive as some might do, in our controvercial points etc. Philippa, I have sensed at times a wee bit of difference. I put this down to our means of communication, even using smilies, it is so easy to bite the bullet. Philippa, as far as I am concerned, speak your mind. So we have a new friend, Biker. So you ask. Who is Mike? Welcome. My profile is listed. Are you a Biker? I used to be in my younger days. The late 50's/60's found me riding Triumphs etc including unmarked police bikes in London, plus driving fast cars. Then I took up horticulture to the full.
So back to the forum. Apart from anything else. This hot weather drains me completely. I do look in each evening. I also have feared that, I might be becoming a PIA. I just like sharing my experience with others.
17/07/2014 at 23:09

No arguing from us Mike  Verdun's my friend, I've lent him £20 to buy more plug plants because he likes them now 

17/07/2014 at 23:14

Edd
17/07/2014 at 23:19

Triumphs Mike!!!

Disappointing. I thought you would have been a Norton (silver dream machine)or BSA, man.

17/07/2014 at 23:51
Edd. Actually we had all types of M/C's. Nortons were heavey and at times could be buggers at kick starting. Remeber in those days, electric straters were not in. I had, jobwise. A Triumph Thunderbird 650, bathtub version. One day en route to court, having just filled up with fuel. In a oneway system just off Marylebone Rd. NW1, the engine petered out. Thinking I hadn't turned the fuel tap on. I parted my knees so as to reach down and turn on. The flames just shot up. Most of the fleet bikes had been converted from coil ignition to Mag. Mine was still coil. A leaky fuel tap had allowed fuel to drip down onto the coil and hey ho. The bike burned out. My Inspector who hated my guts, indirectly told me to take a few days off. The left side of my face had been scortched. Back at work. I took delivery of a 6T. This was a Triumph 650 but of the Bikini class. The rea end was cut away. No radio etc, even dual seat. Fantastic machine. 0-70 in first in no time. We had Triumph Trophies etc but the thunderbird ruled the road. One evening. Whilst talking with the owner of a Rover 105R, on the Outer Circle of Regents Park. A motorist blasted past on the otherside of the road. I kicked the engine over and that was that. Google the map. Northgate Bridge to Marylebone Rd. I clocked this car at 89plus MPH Booked him for speed dangeraous. Turned out. He'd only just that day got his license back. Banned again.
Edd
18/07/2014 at 00:09

Mike, Mike, Mike. What the hell are you doing trying to write a book about Gardening. You have me totally enthralled in that last text!!!

I NEED PART 2 PLEASE.

I am sure others will agree. I was right there with you on that (not literally but) I could not read it fast enough.

Riveting stuff, please don't stop.

18/07/2014 at 04:41

HI Mike. Glad you're ok..I do miss your posts. I read your last one with the same interest I read them all. I do worry about you the same as I would worry about any of the others who I haven't seen on here for a while.

Bikerbabe. Welcome to the family......., I mean site .....Mike is a lovely man (and father figure to me), who is one of the regular contributors to this site.

18/07/2014 at 06:54

18/07/2014 at 08:39

Back on top form Mike 

18/07/2014 at 21:13
Edd, are you a M/C enthusiaste then? Bye the bye. I missed a bit out with that previous tale. Returning to work after the bike fire. I was using another bike. Whilst making out a Memo, to advise a the owner of a parked car, to get the audible alarm fixed. [It sounded each time a car passed it] The bike was across the road. Suddenly some kind woman driver spotted me. Paying more attention to me and what I was doing. She gave the bike an almighty ram up the back, knocking it under the rear of a parked car. Got to give it to lady drivers, they don't do things by halves.

Pauline7. How sweet. Thank you.
18/07/2014 at 21:51
Verdum. Back on form!.. To be honest. NO. This hot weather is doing me in. Today it was just over 34 deg C My friend and I had planned to visit the Garden of The Rose Nr. St Albans. Due to the heat, we plumped for Greenwich Park, very close to home. I wanted more photos for the book. Sadly the park has changed so much, since my days as a foot copper. The roses beds left a lot to be desired. The flower gardens are home to a wide collections of Cedus. There is a Sweet Chestnut there believed to be over four hundred years old. In passing, I said to my friend Rob. Good job trees can't speak. Why's that, he asks. Val and I did most of our courting in here. I got a strange look from him. Honest folks. Even in those days. Mike was respectful. The question. Why am I writing a book on gardening. Well despite the fact that. Yes, I have read many publications etc. As I admit. I don't always stick to the rules. Theory is good, but practice is better. I have in the past attempted a book about police life. I have a mate. Ex CID from Merseyside. He did his 30. We both got as far as chapter four and that was it. Writing about a much loved topic has really taken me. As I have mentioned in past posts. I would have loved to have been a doctor. Sadly education let me down. Although my final school report read something like. Maths. 98per cent. English 92 per cent. Geography 84 per cent. Tech/Drawing 82 per cent Science also was a good mark, but at the time the studies went under the names. Engineering science and atomic science. Now at this late stage in my life. To attempt to lighten the feeling of loneliness, I have turned back to the natural love of my life. Horticulture. My studies have revealed just how close, human biology is related to plant botany and, as being my latest interest, plant pathology. Strewth. There I go again, boring everyone. Our main bedroom, the larger of the two. Once the girls left home. It becam a study, music room etc including junk. Many features remain, however it is now home to two microscopes, one biological the other a disecting one. Loads and loads of books. To be honest. I amaze myself. Nearing the latter days, and I find myself so involved in scientific activities, sorry couldn't spell pursuits. Something I have realized and must accept. This year has to be my last, for sowing and growing seeds. It really breaks my heart when I see the two gardens next to mine. What I would give for more ground. However due to various reasons. New plants will be buy-ins. I do hope that I haven't hugged the forum. Who else can I share my thoughts with?
18/07/2014 at 23:08

Hello Mike, Yes I am a motorcycle enthusiast, however, I dont have a Triumph or a BSA!  I have Honda! Love my bike almost as much as my garden, so its tough sorting out my time between them. This weather is not good for either hobbies though, its only been 28 deg C here in Yorkshire and I am wilting!  Just finished feeding my tomatoes and checking all ok before the storms hit, hope everyone gets through it ok without too much damage to gardens etc., 

18/07/2014 at 23:53

I have a pedal bike.....a Dawes, does that count  I was hoping to get out on it tomorrow but the forecast isn't good.  Don't do motorbikes I'm afraid, my youngest (13)  wants one, I've told him while he is living in my house he has no chance 

Good to see you back on form Mike, how's the book coming along? 

19/07/2014 at 01:24

ohh motorbikes  interesting story you have there Mike. I also like my bikes i currently patrol the garden centers on my Triumph Daytona 675. I sure people look at me funny when i go to the GardenC on my bike. They must think what sort of a idiot comes to the GardenC on a motorbike.

But financially its a master plan , with it being a sports bike i can barely carry anything. So i basic i pick loads of goodies up but i cant take them home . So  only the special plants get a ride home on the Triumph.  Cant wait for spring though i can fill my rucksack full of bulbs/seeds 

Orchid lady - you sound just like my mum  she dislikes motorbikes aswell

19/07/2014 at 17:34

Mike......you sent me a PM...........unfortunately I cannot reply as the PM system is not working for me at the moment.  I gather there is some glitch in the system.  If you are happy to post your email address, I will respond using that method.

I assume you are following this thread

Best wishes

Philippa

21 to 40 of 62 messages