London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
41 to 52 of 52 messages
22/07/2014 at 16:50

Pansyface.......usual thing I'm afraid.......my bad habit of assuming everyone immediately knows what I am on about  So here goes.......this is the "rustic" method I was shown so no cutting crusts of bread or peeling veg (other than onion and garlic ) but can be done if you want.

INGREDIENTS

2 slices of bread

4 large ripe tomatoes

1 Green bell pepper

Half a cucumber

Half an onion

2 cloves Garlic

4 tbs good Olive Oil

2 tsp Salt

One quarter tsp freshly ground Cumin

5 tbs Lemon Juice

One quarter to One half litre of water.

METHOD

Put bread to soak in water.

Chop up Toms, Cucumber, Pepper, Onion and Garlic .......put in Blender and run until pureed.

Decant the above into a bowl and put to one side.

Squeeze excess water from the soaked bread and run in the Blender until soggy.

Keeping the Blender running, add the Olive Oil little by little until incorporated into the bread.

Add the salt, Cumin and Lemon juice.

Ladle some of the contents of the bowl of veg into the blender and then when fully mixed, tip back into the bowl of remaining pureed veg and mix thoroughly. You can run the whole caboodle thru the Blender again if necessary.

Chill the resulting mixture in the fridge for a few hours. I decant into used Mineral Water bottles to save space in fridge.

As it cools down, it will thicken.............you can add cold water to thin it out to taste.

Depending on the size of your Blender, with the quantities given you may need to do it in two batches.  IMO, it is not worth making in lesser quantities but then again, I love it and so can never have enough

Hope that is easy to follow...........if not, let me know

22/07/2014 at 17:15

Ooh, thanks for that. If I could persuade my d****d cucumbers to calve iI'd be able to do it more or less in its entirety from the garden.

Will give it a go tomorrow - assuming it is still hot tomorrow in these parts.

22/07/2014 at 17:30

22/07/2014 at 22:29

That's brilliant, Mike!  I agree with Edd - autobiography is required.

22/07/2014 at 23:21

Love the tales Mike, and didn't it turn back the clock hearing you mention Woolwich. I was born in Dartford and bought up in Erith. We used go to Woolwich market shopping.

24/07/2014 at 21:51

Has someone upset you Mike?  

24/07/2014 at 22:20

Crikey, Mike! You're not on yer bike again?

24/07/2014 at 23:18

Great story Mike,keep them coming 

24/07/2014 at 23:38

I agree Mike and I think I know what you mean in particular, but I didn't say anything. I did wonder though if that's why the Forkers thread was quiet tonight.  I'll be honest, I love reading most of your posts, some (such as bikes) don't interest me, but that's just because I don't like them, I wouldn't dream of upsetting you if others are enjoying the thread. On the whole, I love reading your stories, your advice, your comments 

24/07/2014 at 23:55

I don't really know what is going on Mike but whoever is getting to you could, if they wished, just ignore you. As they choose not to ignore you, they must be wanting to upset you, for whatever reason. But you, in your turn, can ignore them. Just put their details into the Your Settings section and you'll never see them again.

25/07/2014 at 00:06

I too thoroughly enjoy reading your stories Mike. Talkback and the Potting Shed are here for off-topic subjects,whether it be idle chit-chat,life stories,the weather or whatever. There are a whole lot of other sections dedicated to gardening in all its areas of specific interest. Keep posting my friend 

25/07/2014 at 00:18

Mike. I doubt if I would recognise any of that area now. I left Kent in 1970 when I was only **years old. Not giving my age away yet I did take my mother back down to see her brother in 2001 and I didn't recognize any of Erith. Her brother is now living in Canterbury so I don't get to any of the old haunts now, but I have been there virtually, compliments of Google maps, street view.

email image
41 to 52 of 52 messages