London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
41 to 47 of 47 messages
01/04/2014 at 16:27

Very interesting.

If this is all correct, then the trick is making sure your manufacturer is using the peat from the sustainable sources.

Though I do wonder, if we use our own and then have to import, how sustainable is that!

Also if a ban is coming, we will need to find adequate peat free alternatives anyway.

Edd
01/04/2014 at 16:50

So true Briggsy.

Its not so much the sustainability its the carbon footprint it leaves.

No win i'm afraid and not sure what the answer is. 

01/04/2014 at 20:00

Make our own I guess, but coming up with sufficient 'loam' has put me off so far, also it will be full of weed seeds.

I only use bought compost for sowing seeds and things in pots, I hope to try my hand at making usable potting compost once I have sufficient leaf mold - a hot compost bin will hopefully deal with the seed problem,

Time will tell!

Edd
01/04/2014 at 21:38
Briggsy wrote (see)

Make our own I guess, but coming up with sufficient 'loam' has put me off so far, also it will be full of weed seeds.

I only use bought compost for sowing seeds and things in pots, I hope to try my hand at making usable potting compost once I have sufficient leaf mold - a hot compost bin will hopefully deal with the seed problem,

Time will tell!

Hot composting works for seeds. So please do not despair

Regards

Edd.

Edit: i should say kills seeds. Try my 'vermicomposting for beginners thread.' You might like.

17/04/2014 at 18:41
Edd wrote (see)

What were the results Nanny gardener.?

Results very variable. Interesting though that John Innes had the worst results overall the different trials. I always mix mine in anyway. Seems to me you pays your money and takes your choice. Sometimes you get good stuff...sometimes you get rubbish...literally

21/09/2014 at 00:40

Have just transplanted 48 small mixed salvia plants which were grown from cuttings, they have a  really extensive root system!

Also have lots of Echinacea seedlings from seed saved from named varieties are now germinating.

The seeds and cuttings  were sown/rooted in a mixture of finely riddled pure peat and washed river sand, six of peat to one of sand which gives a nice open mixture!

They were all kept in the greenhouse!

Hope they continue as they have started!

21/09/2014 at 10:45
No peat sources are sustainable. Peat was laid down millions of years ago. They ain't making it any more!
email image
41 to 47 of 47 messages