London (change)
Today 19°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
41 to 53 of 53 messages
01/04/2014 at 16:27

Very interesting.

If this is all correct, then the trick is making sure your manufacturer is using the peat from the sustainable sources.

Though I do wonder, if we use our own and then have to import, how sustainable is that!

Also if a ban is coming, we will need to find adequate peat free alternatives anyway.

Edd
01/04/2014 at 16:50

So true Briggsy.

Its not so much the sustainability its the carbon footprint it leaves.

No win i'm afraid and not sure what the answer is. 

01/04/2014 at 20:00

Make our own I guess, but coming up with sufficient 'loam' has put me off so far, also it will be full of weed seeds.

I only use bought compost for sowing seeds and things in pots, I hope to try my hand at making usable potting compost once I have sufficient leaf mold - a hot compost bin will hopefully deal with the seed problem,

Time will tell!

Edd
01/04/2014 at 21:38
Briggsy wrote (see)

Make our own I guess, but coming up with sufficient 'loam' has put me off so far, also it will be full of weed seeds.

I only use bought compost for sowing seeds and things in pots, I hope to try my hand at making usable potting compost once I have sufficient leaf mold - a hot compost bin will hopefully deal with the seed problem,

Time will tell!

Hot composting works for seeds. So please do not despair

Regards

Edd.

Edit: i should say kills seeds. Try my 'vermicomposting for beginners thread.' You might like.

17/04/2014 at 18:41
Edd wrote (see)

What were the results Nanny gardener.?

Results very variable. Interesting though that John Innes had the worst results overall the different trials. I always mix mine in anyway. Seems to me you pays your money and takes your choice. Sometimes you get good stuff...sometimes you get rubbish...literally

21/09/2014 at 00:40

Have just transplanted 48 small mixed salvia plants which were grown from cuttings, they have a  really extensive root system!

Also have lots of Echinacea seedlings from seed saved from named varieties are now germinating.

The seeds and cuttings  were sown/rooted in a mixture of finely riddled pure peat and washed river sand, six of peat to one of sand which gives a nice open mixture!

They were all kept in the greenhouse!

Hope they continue as they have started!

21/09/2014 at 10:45
No peat sources are sustainable. Peat was laid down millions of years ago. They ain't making it any more!
25/04/2015 at 11:56
i am in dispute with homebase at the moment regarding there multipurpose compost on sale for 2x 120 ltr bags for £ 14 sounds a good price until you start to use this rubbish and that is what it is bits of wood ,plastic , small stones even a bit of glass and a high percentage of wood chippings added to bulk up the bag, i returned both bags to homebase for a refund but i have lost a lot of seedlings as there seems to be some kind of contamination in the compost still waiting to hear from homebase regarding this issue ,what they did say was that westland was there supplier and i should contact them.   mr angry.
25/04/2015 at 13:00

I personally don't find Westland compost that great at all, I bought it last year and it was more like bark.

i have used the garden compost from my composter for the first time this year since I started it 2 years ago, for seeds and cuttings I have just added sand  which has worked out just fine.

25/04/2015 at 13:51

I use peat free New Horizon, it has worked fine for beetroot, chillis, spring onions, tomatoes, pak choi, french beans, leeks, sweetcorn etc. I am suspicious of Which trials. For example, not feeding tomatoes before planting out is bizarre. It sounds like they are mainly testing fertiliser levels. And of course compost varies not only from year to year, but sometimes within a year. NH has varied this year, some bags are woodier than ideal, but it still works. I picked up some Lidl compost today, 25l for £1.29, 200L for just over £10. Peat free too. 

26/04/2015 at 07:40
Jack's Magic apparently made by Westland. Fine, crumbly and everything grows well. This year however following GW mag trial I am going to use grow bags and see if I get the same results.
26/04/2015 at 07:55
JM is peat based I'm afraid. I try to mix non peat with peat to reduce but have not yet gone fully non P.
26/04/2015 at 08:26

Why do people use peat? As I said, I've germinated and grown a wide range of veg in peat free compost with success. I get close to 100% germination with good seed. 

email image
41 to 53 of 53 messages