London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
5 messages
22/07/2014 at 14:23

I have had a white Hosta in a pot for 2 years. Both years it has started growing white and then the leaves appear to rot. They havent been eaten by slugs. Then the plant regrows but the leaves are green Has anybody else had this problem and what did they do ? I think the Hosta is White Feather.

22/07/2014 at 16:23

Hi Carol.  I'm also having a few problems with my white feather Hosta.  When it first grew (mine is new this year) it was green, but the leaves eventually turned white.  However, over the last couple of weeks when it's been very sunny, the leaves have been staying green.  I think I read on this forum a while ago, that if a white hosta gets too much sun, it makes it grow green.  I'm thinking of transplanting it to a more shady area in our garden as the area gets more sun than I first realised.  I'm not sure about the rotting leaves though; it sounds like maybe it had too much water or isn't planted deep enough? 

22/07/2014 at 18:02

From info I have seen White Feather is a very poor performing plant , some say it should never have released for sale.

23/07/2014 at 07:47

Last year I contacted Bowdens hostas ( a major hostage grower) to see if they stocked White feather hosta and they told me no they didn't as the hosta was a very bad grower and didn't even like being transported or moved in anyway. The hosta will definitely dislike being in the sun.

30/07/2014 at 15:30

Thanks for your advice. I will try and get it to grow as best i can. 

email image
5 messages