Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wild flowers not now mowed down

DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

I live in Cheshire and I am delighted to notice that whole swathes of buttercups, oxeye daises, dandelions etc have escaped the mowers in our verges and have been left for bees and insects to enjoy. At last we are waking up to the damage we do by being too tidy!  I would be interested to know whether other counties have adopted this strategy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I wish image

what the council doesn't cut our farmer neighbour sprays with weed killer. There's a dead brown line round all his fields

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

What county are you in nut?  I thought farmers got grants for leaving a margin round their fields. Our Co-op farm land around here does seem to have wild bits around the edges of fields. I would have to write to the local paper and take up this issue!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Peterborough which is not part of cambridgeshire for some rules. No margins round our fields but at least the death spray hasn't come in a killed my grass for the last few years

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

People also seem to have a desire to cut the verges outside their houses?  Why?

They are probably the same people who applaud the councils for cutting country verges, and banks, orchids, bluebells and all.

• I think  Bolton Council have left a couple of roundabouts to grow wild, it also helps by slowing the emerging traffic as you have to slow down because some of the grasses are quite high and you can't see cars coming round the roundabout.

They have just sprayed the edge of my garden fence with weed killerimage and caught my forget- me-nots

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

A researcher from Bristol university did some experiments on plants suitable for hanging baskets that were bee and butterfly friendly - had loads of nectar and pollen.  I am eagerly awaiting to see if some of the plants have made it into the hundreds of baskets they put up. They already have little patches off wild flower meadow sown right in the centre which look lovely when the poppies and cornflowers bloom.  I am sure it saves the council tax payers a lot of money if nature is given a freer hand.

• Braintree and Chelmsford  in Essex, Council have left the verges as they have oxeye daises, and any other wild flowers they mow around them, which is good.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Bristol has just been announced as the winner of Green City of Europe Award for 2015.  Well done, Bristol and well deserved.

• Congratulations on your award, I would love to live in the South of the country.

• DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

Some good news then,. I do hope Peterborough wakes up to the new trends Nut. image