Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

will they stick hot sun

Hi can I plant Acers in my garden in front it gets very very hot in summer sun nearly all day and windy in winter ...please help ...thanks...

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Not really the best conditions for them, they like dappled shade and protection from the wind.

• Cultiv8Cultiv8 Posts: 9

There are many different varieties of Acer, some do indeed enjoy shade to semi shade mainly the golden leaf varieties but there are some which will tolerate the sun (but not a very exposed site which I think you are describing.

I think most of them are deciduous, wind in winter I don't think would be a problem.

While they are in leaf however exposure to wind and very intense heat would cause the leaves to dry and curl which does not look good.

Why not grow them in a pot with good ericaceous compost, this way you can move to accommodate the conditions, they are happy in a pot because they do not have an extensive root run.