London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
20 messages
09/12/2013 at 15:37

i have a wind damaged 6ft weeping willow , icut it free from all roots,is my next step re digging the hole and firmly planting,any other steps i should be taking ??please help it is a neighbours tree which her husband planted before passing.

09/12/2013 at 16:43

take a twig and plant in replacement if there is room  and you dispose of the old one. I have grown  a willows from twigs and they grow fast and big but it would be nice to think that the same tree is being re-planted.

09/12/2013 at 16:48

What is the damage alan, has it been blown out of the soil and broken a lot of roots?

09/12/2013 at 17:47

it was lying on its side with the supporting post also down,i took my loppers and severed all all the roots to pull the tree free,my plan tomorrow is to dig out a fresh hole and re plant,ill give all the straggly ends of the tree a run round with the pruners,place in hole and fill in ,am i on the right tracks, i think i did something similar years ago and it worked ,the thing is how do you know if its taking ok,wait till spring and see fresh buds  ??

09/12/2013 at 17:50

They make very big trees, so make sure it is well away from hedges, walls, houses and fences.  Make sure there are no inspection hatches and drains nearby.

Take this opportunity to site it really well.  They are lovely trees.

09/12/2013 at 17:58

i m not sur if its a weeping willow as it has been 5 or 6 foot for the last 5 years since ive known it all the thin braranches hang downto near the ground and green leaf in the summer,the woman that owns doesnt even know the name of it.

09/12/2013 at 18:01

the circumfronce of the present hole is nearly 2 feet. and all in is 6ft in height with about a 3ft spread.

09/12/2013 at 18:17

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kilmarnock+willow&rlz=2C1CHFX_enGB0538GB0538&oq=kilmarnock+w&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9700j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

It may be a Kilmarnock willow, a form of Salix caprea, rather than one of those big weeping willows you see by rivers. Have a look at some photos on the link and see if you recognise it.

How much root has it got left?

You'll need to stake it well so it doesn't go again in the next gale

10/12/2013 at 07:08

thanks nutcutlet,theres a good root system still left on it which makes me think it will take alright when replanted ,heres hoping, and funnily enough i live just 6 miles from kilmarnock ,ayrshire ,west of scotland,in irvine, will let you know how i get on later today.

10/12/2013 at 08:33

very like the last picture on strip of 5 ,thereare two 3mtres apart, one was totally undamaged with the wind,is there something i can put on the tips of the roots to help it take in the soil, i am going to my local nursery for any info i can pick up from the guy there .

10/12/2013 at 08:57

It should  be OK if you can keep it stable. The something for the root tips is mycorrhizal powder. I've never used it but might be worth a try. If I'd known about it when I was planting my trees I would have used it.

10/12/2013 at 15:45

have confirmed it is a kilmarnock willow,got a new post to anchor it in,i heard it had blown down before ,and i dont think they planted it deep enough,though the wind broke the post anyway,anyway its in now i just hope it takes,thanks for everyones help. alan bridges.

10/12/2013 at 22:02

Having just undertaken a 'first time in 5 years' tidy-up of dead & damaged growth on a standard Kilmarnock willow, I'm interested in this thread and the sound advice being proffered for their management. The tree was planted to mark my Mother's passing but Dad is now housebound and unable to garden as he used. The fresh outgrowth was beginning to compromise the nearby footpath access to the rest of the garden, so I wielded my secateurs very carefully and removed all the brown stems from under the crown. Next I decided to thin the tips somewhat by cutting back to an outward/ upward pointing bud (white rabbit's-tail tips showing already!). Not wanting to waste this valuable material, I opened up a slit trench with a spade and 'bobbed' 30-40 cuttings [12-18 inches long], half-buried into the sandy loam soil. Hopefully a few will 'take' and can be moved into more desirable locations after a year or so...?? Comments appreciated.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35065.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

11/12/2013 at 06:53

theres about18 inches off the strands on the one i was working on which made it a bit easier to re plant,yours looks great though.

11/12/2013 at 10:25

Are Kilmarnock Willows grafted - I've always assumed they are - it'll be interesting to see what form the cuttings take 

11/12/2013 at 13:31

they are grafted, some higher than others. It will be interesting to see what a cutting produces. Perhaps Salix caprea 'Horizontalis'

11/12/2013 at 17:37

Yes, NutC, it had crossed my mind that the new shoots on my cuttings (ever hopeful!) mightn't conform to the original pattern of radial growth - I'll just have to wait and see - perhaps some may prove more 'bidable' than others??? & respond to careful re-pruning.

AlanB, the original bush was about 1 metre high in a fair-sized poly pot - it went into an oversized hole with a goodly supply of well-rotted manure beneath. That sort of cossetting would certainly aid recovery of your tree, plus the staking etc that others have advised. A generous mulch of compost in the spring would reduce moisture loss too. Best of luck!

11/12/2013 at 20:07

i have just replanted it without anything other than the soil that came outthethe re dug hole ,compacted in then about 15 litres of some fresh homebase soil on top,i have it anchored to a new post on one side , and the old post on the other,,plastic ties tape and string binding it to the posts,my biggest worry is future gales as weve got 12 weeks or more with that kind of threat,still the lady concerned is happy thats its on the road to recovery.

15/12/2013 at 20:56

Yes , best of luck but why not take a cutting just in case ?

16/12/2013 at 07:54

But a cutting will not grow in the same form as a Kilmarnock Willow which has been grafted and is in effect a weeping standard. 

email image
20 messages