Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Winter Pots

Hi does anyone have any plant ideas for winter pots?  preferably not pansies as I've loads already  thanks

• It depends on what look you want to go for - colourful primulas or more elegant tonal displays of variegated ivies and evergreens.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I did an evenings course on this some years ago and we were recommended to plant large tulips quite deep, small bulbs above, a small evergreen shrub/tree and cyclamen and a trailing variegated ivy. The cyclamen rotted that first winter, but apart from that these winter tubs are still going strong 5 or 6 years later. In the summer I stick a pelagonium in there when the tulips have died back. So there isn't much colour in the middle of winter without the cyclamen but it works for the early spring.

• Think someone on GW showed a similar technique a few years ago Artjak  and it's what I do, but I too find that the cyclamen don't cope well for long.  

I've also got a tub with hyacinths and tiny daffs, overplanted with a variegated ivy, a small upright juniper, and some primulas and violas.  This spends the summer in the  shade at the back of the garden and gets pulled out in the autumn, the top layer of compost replaced and it goes back on the front porch.  

I might add some snowdrops for next year.image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

•  I just did a planter with Gaultheria covered in pink and white berries ( a male and a female, apparently, which is necessary for future berries), with heathers in the same colours and a back drop of a couple of small evergreen shrubs. I really wanted the Gaultheria because I understand the berries last all winter and since they are ericacous and my soil is definitely not, they required their own planter and since I could only buy a large bag of ericacous compost at my local GC I bought a half-barrel and allowed myself consequently to buy plants that need a fair amount of growing room.  It looks absolutely beautiful, so very cheerful and colourful.

Macavity, could we see a photo? It sounds lovely.

• Thanks everyone, I've got a sick looking heuchera I'll pot it up and it might pick up.  I never have much luck with hyacinths the blooms always fall over.

A picture for you, art jack. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy but I had to take it when it was barely light as I was leaving the house this morning.

• A tip for floppy hyacinths - the flower stems are hollow - if they're flopping over you can make a hole in the stem 'at the back' and feed a little cane (takeaway sushi chopsticks are ideal) into the stem to help it stand firm image

Macavity, that looks fab.image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I am very pleased to hear that others have problems with cyclamen, i put them in, the buds open that are on them, then thats it.

I do buy outdoor types.

I dug out the corms last year and potted them up this year, only 3 are growing though.

My galanthias are from seeds that i pinched off a plant, they didnt make the size to plant out this year, but will have lots for next. You get lots of seed from just one berry

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.