Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Winter project

EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

At the request of my daughter in law I used broken pots, real plants and moss, plus items picked up from Charity Shops to make a fairy garden.  The assembly gave me something to occupy myself one sunny afternoon last week.  Perhaps some of you might like to make one yourselves.  Good luck.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Oh Esspee it's beautiful, I love it image

• Charming and I love the way it continues to grow.

A friend of mine bought a "fairy" from the garden centre for each of her grandchildren, and they placed them around her garden.  Whenever they were coming to visit she move them into new locations so the children had to search for them and see "what they were up to" every visit.

• Sounds (& looks) like a suitable project to engage my two granddaughters (8&5yo) when they descend on us next w/e.... should be going along nicely when they revisit in the summer holidays??? [I've two 'empty' Belfast sinks, so they could end up with one each - less fighting that way, eh??]. More news anon...

• Oh how sweet, lovely idea Esspee.

Love the idea about moving the fairies round the garden too. Any pics of those Gardening gran.

• Sorry Star gaze - they weren't my grand children - they were three little girls. 

My three boys entertained me with a 2-section hippo (had to plant only blue flowers around to represent water) a mole (head - gap - feet) and two eyes and a mouth made of wood to nail to the apple tree. - oh yes and a large alligator which emerges through the undergrowth.  Boys have different ideas to girls!

• Oh dear - with grandchildren staying wioth me at present we've been maionly in the kitchen making gingerbread houses (two of those) stuffed dates and fudge.  I'll try to whizz round the garden tomorrow and take some pictures....be patient, we grannies are very busy at this time of year!

• Four is a lovely age - I used to take the children for lion hunts in the garden when they were that age - amazing what a bit of rustling under a bush can conjure up in the imagination.  And then Grandmother's footsteps but "Granny you're cheating" as I disappeared behind a tree whilst they were advancing!

Now the youngest grandchildren are 11 but all know where to find the edible bits of the garden and which plants are horribly poisonous....something all children need to learn.

Enjoy you youngster....they grow up too soon.

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

Pauline,

I cannot claim the original idea as my daughter in law sent the following link asking me if I could adapt it for my granddaughters.

I would love to see a photo what  you create under your tree.  I have seen some delightful tiny doors at the bottom of trees in California which give the impression that little people live within.  Anything which fires the imagination of children in the garden has to be positive.

My next challenge is to recreate the garden in L.A. using cacti and succulents as the prototype won't survive in the heat.  There must be fairies in the desert.....don't you think?

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

Edd,

I reckon I am going to take your 4 year old's word for it regarding the taste comparison between worms and slugs.

One question does occur to me though.......if they taste alike how come the New Zealand flatworms which arrived uninvited ate all the lovely earthworms and left the horrid slugs?