London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
5 messages
06/01/2014 at 20:32

Hi I'm new to this site , I want to plants something in a woodland area, I have ferns acers  primroses and spring bulbs, any ideas please 

06/01/2014 at 20:35

What is the aspect of the wood and how mush light gets to the ground?

06/01/2014 at 20:36

Hellebores, Heucheras, Mahonia, Violets, Cyclamen Hederofolia, Epimedium all work well in my woodland area of the garden.  Good luck!

06/01/2014 at 20:45

Check out brunneras, aconitums,tiarellas, grasses like acorus, Bowles golden grass, hackonochloa, acteas, Arum lilies..... could go,on and on.......

07/01/2014 at 11:51
Anne Waddington wrote (see)

Hi I'm new to this site , I want to plants something in a woodland area, I have ferns acers  primroses and spring bulbs, any ideas please 

Hi Anne, I guess it depends on when you want the woodland area to be at its best.  A ground covering of cyclamen, anemones, celandines and aconites can give some much needed colour and interest when it's needed most - typically from autumn through to spring and they will complement the spring bulbs (by which I presume you mean daffodils, snowdrops, crocuses and the like) nicely. 

Pick varieties carefully as some are more hardy and ground tolerant than others and go for those with AGM awards from the RHS unless you're comfortable selecting specifics. Cyclamen are relatively expensive but will spread, albeit quite slowly.  The rest aren't too bad and are easy to plant.  All, generally, look after themselves and can be mowed over on a high setting during the summer months if you need to keep grass growth down.

Agree with Patsy on Hellebores - often rejected, there are some stunning varieties available and they really look good grown in small clumps rather than individually.  Most also divide well, giving you the chance to expand coverage free of charge! 

email image
5 messages