London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 40 of 136 messages
12/10/2013 at 20:17

Not that I know of - but Ma always said Winter isn't over until there's been a Daffy Snow - by that she meant snowfall about the time the daffodils were flowering. 

12/10/2013 at 21:01

So true - Ma was right.

12/10/2013 at 22:19

She maintains she always is - however Pa knows that he's sometimes right, but feels it's best not to tell Ma  

13/10/2013 at 09:28

Well they said it was cold over the Cairngorms yesterday but I didn't feel a thing .......................I'll get my coat.......... 

13/10/2013 at 10:36

Ahhh but didn't we all have such a lot of time to chat on here this spring with it being so wet

13/10/2013 at 12:53

The Daily Express runs the coldest winter every year now:

November 27th 2012

The express

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/358 ... ars-on-way

October 10th 2011

The express

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/276516 ... ni-ice-age

November 2nd 2011

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/281196 ... it-Britain   There is nothing in the long term forecast to suggest anything very cold - bog standard winter, at least one hopes for. Best to prepare for the worst and be happy when it is mild.
13/10/2013 at 12:57

My bulbs are either convinced it's their last chance to flower ever and they'd better get on with it or confident winter is not coming at all. Some of them're already up and standing 7" proud of the soil, and the lilies are still green from this year.

13/10/2013 at 14:43

Don't mind having a  cold winter if we had a summer like this year. Earlier on this year the weathermen said the sea temperature off Cornwall was lower than it should be for the time of year and that meant we would have a poor summer. They were wrong again.

13/10/2013 at 16:04

I'm desperately worried On the Jeremy Vine show this week, he did a story about the people who have to choose between heating and eating........ after my hubby lost his job, I don't see much hope for us this Winter, if it's as bad as they predict........ I'm terrified

13/10/2013 at 21:20

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-10-13/the-met-office-responds-to-headlines-warning-of-worst-winter-in-decades/

Once again it is the season for speculation and big headlines regarding what the weather will do over the winter period. The front page of the Daily Express (Saturday 12th October) claims: ‘Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November’.

We saw similar headlines last year and instead winter 12/13 ended up being only the 43rd coldest on record with an average temperature of 3.3C and flooding until the turn of the year.

What the Daily Express has failed to explain to it’s readers is that there is absolutely no certainty about what weather the UK will see over the winter period. The science simply does not exist to make detailed, long-term forecasts for temperature and snowfall even for the end of November, let alone for the winter period, which does not officially start until 1 December.

14/10/2013 at 16:05

@Charlie November - quite right, they sell scare stories, that is all.

14/10/2013 at 17:39

Hiya emma

Things won't be as they have predicted.  You will be just fine...you'll see.  Just take things day by day...we all have to do that.  You know, it's WORRY that causes most problems.  Funny thing is when things are going well we still worry that things will get bad.  Aren't we a funny bunch?  

Don't be terrified Emma.  And ignore those headlines in the newspapers.  We have just had a fantastic summer yet there were warnings of another poor summer.  Enjoy your garden and your life.  

KEF
14/10/2013 at 18:42

Emma, as Verdun says worry is the worst thing. It feels cold now after a warm end to Summer.

Not meaning to sound like my Mother ( I'm 55 so not ancient) our first house had no central heating only gas fire in kitchen and lounge..nothing upstairs. I'd come from family home with central heating.

1981 & We used to get bathed and run down and get dry in front of fire. We turned settee on it's end to stop the drafts and lay on hearth rug under a duvet. Ice on the inside of windows. Tell you what, it was damn cold going to loo, but we had fun and laugh about it now..we are still here. I'm not preaching just hope my story makes you laugh. I hope winter isn't a bad one, but stay on the forum, laugh with us & don't stress.

14/10/2013 at 18:58

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32451.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

jan 2010 came back from new york to this in north manchester .  1963 was a bad one too. for  6 year old 

14/10/2013 at 19:06

I'd like to say 'back in the day when I was younger.....' but I'm only 27 

14/10/2013 at 19:13

Brumbull, if Health and Safety have gone through the roof, can we assume they're going to insist we replace the roof with a sturdier one, put crash mats under it just in case and put up clear warning signs all around so burglars know not to try the roof, as it's not safe?

They'd better not go through my roof. There are pigeons about, and I don't want pigeon droppings getting in here, spreading disease.

KEF
14/10/2013 at 19:14

Archie my parents said 1958 was bad, my pram wasn't delivered due to the snow until I was 3 wks old. The night I was born another chap whose wife had given birth around same time as my Mum, had to stay at Mum & Dad's cos he couldn't get home..they only walked 5 miles to get to our house.

Guess this doesn't help Emma's worries, but let's hope she can smile at our pics & stories.

14/10/2013 at 21:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32454.gif?width=350&height=262&mode=max

built this last year and been living here since, no electric bills ,no poll tax no gas bills no rent to pay
 and loving it!

freedom's great

out in all weathers to get supplies to cook,

make herbal teas, drom berries,

IF SO!!!

but if i had too then maybe i would!

i do live under a tiled roof which iam so gratefull for and have too pay the rates,

so if cutbacks (such as fish and chips or beens on toast) beans on toast then it is

as for being cold this worst predicted winter well,went booting got myself lots of wollys and blankets to rap up when the big chill happens!

BBBrrrrr!!!

14/10/2013 at 22:49

If you get me the measurements now I can order the fabric before snowdrifts stop the post getting through and have fleece-lined double-sided fur coats in the post in time for the post office staff to steal them like they did the last two hand-made items I sent out in time for Christmas!

22/10/2013 at 14:42

Thunder and lightning promised first......hail second..........then...........?

21 to 40 of 136 messages