London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 136 messages
22/10/2013 at 14:59

i grew up in a home in the 60s. No central heating, but coal fires in living room. Ice inside windows. we wore jumpers and warm clothes. no problem

22/10/2013 at 15:31

I think the forecasters had such a bad time when they failed to mention the hurricane some years ago,they like to err on the side of caution,too much some times.

22/10/2013 at 17:57

Over the years I have heard so many dire warnings of all sorts of weather.

The only thing we can be certain of is that climate change is happening.

We will get wetter, and we will have more extremes of weather.

As Gardeners we will have to adapt to these changes.

Whatever happens I know we will find ways to cope.

This forum could become the most useful place to help us adapt to the changes which will come.

24/10/2013 at 18:23

Windy old day here today. 

Sorry folks but I'm far from convinced of climate change. 5 years or so ago the experts said we will be having DRYER weather because of climate change....of course we were having dry weather at the time.  Now we will have wetter weather because of,climate change.  Experts are often narrow thinking, focused people intent on convincing others of their thinking.  Vested interests control what we should say and think.   To deny climate change is outrageous.  I remember my parents talking of us going into an ice age.  The experts then were saying that.  The experts talk of evolution and so many millions of years......deep down we know they don't know.  They GUESS.  How we all laugh when the experts are hoodwinked......remember the crop circle hoaxes and how angry the experts were when shown up to be very silly people

Now, autumn?  Yes it is a comin 

24/10/2013 at 18:28

The old method of hanging up a bit of seaweed and looking out of the window works best. If its wet, its raining. If its flapping about its windy. If its dry, its sunny.

Its about as reliable as the met office anyway.

24/10/2013 at 18:29

Mmmm, winter, shovelling snow off the car early in the morning, yuk! Don't mind snow, it belongs to winter, but should stay in the mountains, not down here!

24/10/2013 at 18:49

We wont get much snow here Swiss sue.  Nice to look at tho.  

I think we know pretty much how the weather will be in the mornings.  

24/10/2013 at 19:00

two pine cones outside the back door and put the cat out works for me cat back  in ,after 30 seconds  rain . pine cones open  dry 

24/10/2013 at 19:06

I'm convinced of climate change Verdun. It's been changing for about 4 billion years (those who know can correct my numbers) so it won't stop now

25/10/2013 at 00:32

25/10/2013 at 08:43

No Brum.  Think summer has definitely gone 

29/10/2013 at 08:33

I have said it already on another thread but a friend of mine who is "alternative" ( polite phrase for hippy") says it's gonna be a v v bad winter.... The acorns and sweet chestnuts are falling in huge amounts yet there are few conkers an also a lot of fruit ie apples are still on the trees apparently. She's not normally wrong I have to say..... 

29/10/2013 at 08:36

lots of berrys on my holly . sign of  a bad winter . grandad used to say and gas prices going up

29/10/2013 at 09:01

And omg they have gone up! I'm constantly in debt to them now and I don't do debt!

29/10/2013 at 12:32

Climate change is here,at first I didnt believe it until I heard about our polar bears who would swim a few miles from shore to the ice packs to feed on seals.What is happening now is the bears are swinning to the ice packs but the ice packs have melted back many miles and the bears drown from exhaustion.

Bill

29/10/2013 at 13:46

Don't want it to be too cold winter as I have so many plants to put into the garden and bulbs still

don't mind some cold but not really cold unill I have finished all that and keeping warm indoors

29/10/2013 at 17:35

Oh Stacey I do hope your friend is wrong this time

29/10/2013 at 21:41

I confidently predict, based on my vast experience of the weather, even tho' I am only 27, periods of cold followed by warmer weather, followed by colder weather etc. etc. AND it will be wet at times and then dry at other times. When it is cloudy you won't be able to see the sun, sorry. Nights will also generally be much darker than daytime, except when it is really, really cloudy or the moon is shining.

p.s. Bill, if the polar bears are having a hard time why are their numbers increasing?

30/10/2013 at 09:07

Its obvious that polar bears are getting a raw deal. The poor devils have had to start living in people's freezers now.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33319.jpg?width=309&height=350&mode=max

KEF
30/10/2013 at 09:58

Clarington

41 to 60 of 136 messages