London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
121 to 136 of 136 messages
29/01/2014 at 11:18

I'm desperate about the floods in my garden. Every border is full to the lawn level, walking on  the lawn is like walking on a bowl of blancmange. (Not that I've ever done that you understand!) Also there's puddles of standing water on parts of the lawn, so that I can't even do anything out there. Although we are at the top of a hill, the hill is made up of London clay. Great for holding the moisture in the summer but disastrous after so much rain, with more to come. I know I'm not as unfortunate as those folks in Somerset, but I really don't want to lose all my lovely plants.

29/01/2014 at 13:37

We have the white stuff forecast for tomorrow here in Nottinghamshire.

Sorry to read your post Diggindoris, it must be awful (although I reckon walking on blancmange would be quote fun).  Hopefully it subsides before we do get any hard frosts or snow.

30/01/2014 at 10:18

We have snow this morning it isn't settling at the minute but the sky is full of it.

30/01/2014 at 19:19

Rained all day here again. Very very foggy tonight

30/01/2014 at 22:37

Just a thought.  I wonder if the German Dam builders would care to come to blighty.  They did a fine job on the great wartime dams.  Why can't the brits do similar and put paid to the summer hose-pipe bans.??????????

30/01/2014 at 23:35

There are so many drought tolerant plants, if our winters are going to be this wet I hope the plant breeders work on some bog tolerant ones too!  When I see pictures of the floods in the news I don't just feel sympathy for the damage to peoples homes, awful though that is, but I also think there must be so many people who have spent years (and considerable amounts of money) getting their gardens looking lovely, and now they will have to start again. Of course the state of their gardens won't be their first priority but it must be heartbreaking. My plants are insured against theft and vandalism but not against water!  

31/01/2014 at 00:18

I think some of my plants and especially my bulbs have drowned. And the garden wasn't really that bad compared to most gardens

31/01/2014 at 09:18

There are plenty of dams already in the UK and also plenty of water but not necessarily close to th egreatest centres of population in the south east.

More thought needs to go into water supply and treatment and sewage and waste disposal when giving planning permission for new housing or industry.  All houses should be metered and have water butts or cisterns to collect rain water for gardens and toilets.  Water companies should be forced to make repairs to reduce water losses through leaks - up to 40% in some areas!

Flood plains should not be built on - it's asking for trouble - and areas like the Somerset levels should have their drainage channels and waterways regularly dredged to reduce flooding near homes and businesses.

None of this is rocket science.  Just common sense and good management.

31/01/2014 at 15:26
obelixx wrote (see)

Flood plains should not be built on - it's asking for trouble

I agree completely, the local authorities have just passed plans to build further houses on flood plains in our village.  The drainage is hardly sufficient for the houses here already let alone 500 more and the flood water has to go somewhere.  For the past 3 years we have been flooded in.

Its raining again and its been relentless all day .

02/02/2014 at 11:11

ITs certainly the wettest winter that I've known. But since its such a mild winter (2nd of Feb and no lasting ice!) maybe we'll be getting that early spring? I sure hope so!

14/02/2014 at 19:00

Well for sheer damage, financial losses, distress,frustration and worry this is the worst winter.

Still not convinced its climate change.......sorry folks for me there is no proof of that.......but concede there are lots of extreme weather around the globe.  

14/02/2014 at 20:48

anyone know of anywhere in the world that has seasons, calmer weather, warm summers and frosty snowy winters?

or do I have to go back to the 1970's or my rose coloured memories of it?!!

18/02/2014 at 19:53

this is our first winter in England for 18 years. We used to go to Goa for 3 months Dec - end Feb. 33C and 12 hours of sun every day. I'm kinda missing it.

18/02/2014 at 20:52

Apart from a small rain shower at midday it has been glorious here today. 12c on the thermometer.

Got many things done in the garden

18/02/2014 at 22:57

Lots done here too from pruning clems and taking cuttings from some to pruning roses, cutting down old stems on perennials and transplanting shrubs and snowdrops - none of which I can usually do before late March or early April.  Temps throughout January and Feb have been between 25 and 30C warmer than in the last few years.  Today we got up to 12C.  Usually in Feb we're down to between -15C and -20C.

18/02/2014 at 23:38

I guess I'm just a " hot house flower"

email image
121 to 136 of 136 messages